Followers

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Tovah And Randy Are Two Of The Best, Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                     That is, to be exact, girl, Tovah Feldshuh and Randy Graff!  Both have been around for, in what theater parlance, might be termed forever, and never once have they made the bright lights of Broadway dim.

                                        Let's start with Tovah, whom I actually discovered by accident. In the fall of 1975 (yes, dears, that far back!!!) BAM presented the play "Yentl," based on the story "Yentl, The Yeshiva Boy," by Isaac Bashevis Singer.  Now, you have to understand, loves, at the time I had never heard of either, and I was still practically a virgin!!!!!!!!!!!  That is how long ago it was!!!!!!!!!!!

                                        Well, "Yentl" was such a success it moved to the Eugene O'Neill Theatre, which is where I saw it, back in the Spring of 1976.  Now, at that time, I was highly into Musical Theater--always had been, still am--but at this point in my early theatergoing life, I ONLY saw musicals.
One of the reviews for "Yentl," which was a rave, compared it to "Fiddler On The Roof" (which, as it turns out, it does not resemble!!!!!!!) and I somehow got it into my naive head that this was a musical. So I purchased a ticket. People tried to tell me otherwise, and even the photos outside the theater, as I waited for the doors to open that Saturday matinee, suggested such.  I got in, took my seat, and, as the lights went down, somehow it sunk into me that I would not be seeing a musical.  It was terrifying; what would I do???? How would I sit through something I really was not interested in seeing?  Plus, I was in the center, on the aisle, and very close to the stage. I could not just walk out; that would be rude to the performers, and, having a bit of performance background myself, I had a high respect for them and a high degree of good theater audience manners.  I decided to grin and bear it.

                                        Lambs, Tovah took care of everything.  The lights blacked out, and there, onstage was Tovah, as Yentl, delivering her opening monologue. She was so mesmerizing and compelling as an actress I could not take my eyes off her. And by the time she ran backstage, and the main thrust of the play began, I was hooked!!!!!!!!!!  Thank you, Tovah!  And, because of that experience I then expanded my theatergoing horizons to non-musicals.

                                          Several years later, at the Mark Hellinger Theatre, Tovah starred in a show called "Sarava!". which was a musical version of Jorge Amado's novel, "Dona Flor And Her Two Husbands."  I regret not seeing this one, but its run was helped immeasurably by the TV commercial at the time, which had Tovah and Company singing the title song.  They would be dancing about, in the most colorful costumes, and singing "SSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRAAAAAAVAAAAAAAAAA!"  I could not help myself,
darlings!!!!!  Whenever this would flash onto the screen, I would get up in front of the screen, and do this!!!!!!!!!  I am sure it drove my parents crazy!  Especially since I was then a young man in my 20's!!!!!!!!!!

                                           Suffice it to say, Tovah has inspired me in ways even she could not imagine.
Recently, Playbill did an online interview, profiling several actors on their worst theatrical mishaps.  Tovah's (and Randy's, which I will get to!!!!!!) were the two best.   Tovah spoke of appearing regionally--maybe Philly--in a production of Neil Simon's "The Star-Spangled Girl.'  There was a moment in the show that called for a very quick costume change--and it had to be done onstage with the curtain down.
Well, either Tovah and the dresser weren't fast enough, or the curtain master rung up too early, because when the curtain came up, there was Tovah..........in her own words, "The rest I leave to your imagination."

                                              Just think, dolls!!!!!!!! She sort of did "HAIR," without ever being in it!!!!!!!!

                                              Now, for Randy Graff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                              Back in 1987, when "Les Miserables," was arriving on Broadway, it was as anticipated then, as say, the Rapture is today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Through a mutual friend, Stephen Manashowitz, who had gone to school/college, with Randy, I, and my colleague/friend Suzanne, were able to see the show at its almost freshest--the very night after it opened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                  It was a magical evening.  Because Randy was in the enviable position of having the role I still desperately want to play--Fantine!!!!!!!!!!  And I am ready any time one is needed;  you hear that all you "Les Miz" producers and directors??????????  I still do a killer "I Dreamed A Dream."

                                                     When Randy opened in "City Of Angels" I bought the recording as soon as it was released.  To this day, while vacuuming, I sometimes still sing, "You Can Count On Me,"  and "What You Don't Know About Women," which were Randy's songs--and one that was not--"Lost And Found."

                                                         Randy had a wonderful story in this article, involving "Les Miz."  During the Fantine Death Scene, she starts out on the floor, singing, and then, at a certain point, Colm Wilkinson, as Jean Valjean, is supposed to enter, pick her up, and carry her to the bed, where she finishes the rest of the song, and dies!   Well, one night, Randy got to that point, and there was no Colm!!!!!!!  What could she do?????????  I am not sure I would have been as resourceful, as  Randy.
She began, while singing, to crawl across the stage, till she reached the bed, and threw herself in it!!!!!!
By that time, Colm ran onstage, and, in between vocal notes, apologized to her profusely!!!!!!!!  Pretty strong for Fantine, who, at this point, is supposed to be dying of consumption!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                            Don't you just love it, darlings??????????  And, like I said, no matter the mishaps, Tovah and Randy are two of the best!!!!!!!!!!!  Keep it up, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                             I know what you want, darlings!!!!!!!!!  You want to know some of my own stories herein!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Well, if I can think of any, I will share!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                               Meanwhile, I look forward to playing the Andrea Leeds role in "Stage Door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

No comments: