Followers

Monday, August 6, 2012

So Much Fun, Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




                                 Girls, once upon a time, Daphne Du Maurier, like Edna Ferber and Taylor Caldwell, was a big-time, prolific author.  Today, only someone as ersatz as moi would remember Caldwell, while only
"Show Boat" remains in print out of Ferber's other works.  And the same holds true for Du Maurier--she wrote a lot, but the only work in print that survives today is......."Rebecca."

                                  I first read "Rebecca" when I was in eighth grade.  I was sure ahead of my time, darlings, because no one else--not even Roberta--was reading such stuff, and its dazzling sophistication seduced me, at an early age, into wanting the same for myself!!!!!   The Raving Queen was aflame, even then, girls!!!!!!!!!!!

                                  Even at the time of that initial reading, I knew of the celebrated, Oscar winning David O. Selznick film, but it was not till I reached adulthood, in the early 80's, that I saw it for the first time--and on the big screen, yet!!!--at Manhattan's now defunct Regency Theatre, then the best movie revival house in the city!!!!!!!!!

                                 "Rebecca" always remained somewhere in the corners of my fevered mind.  But I had not really given it serious thought, for at least a decade, if not more.  Gradually, over the last several months, I developed a sudden craving to see the film again.  I tried finding it at local libraries, but I guess it is still popular, for I never found a copy available.  Then, it suddenly dawned on me that the novel was to be the August selection at the Gay and Lesbian Reading Group at The Center.  Which meets this week.  So, I decided it was time to reread the novel.  And so I did.

                                   What surprises, loves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                    The first thing I asked, as I began, is why is a gay and lesbian group reading this????
Is it because Du Maurier herself was said to be bisexual????  Is it because of the lesbian implications of both Mrs. Danvers and the unseen, but ever present, Rebecca???? (Which stem more, in part, from the movie than the novel, as I shall explain in another posting!!!!)  And what kind of feelings did Frank  Crawley have???? Could he have been interested in both Max and Rebecca??????

                                     Darlings, I am afraid the answer is less prosaic than these.  "Rebecca" is simply a template of glamour for all us gay men.  It has what we all aspire to, and crave--a huge Gothic mansion by the sea, like Manderly,  that we can be mistress of, dress balls, high tea, lavish serving dish breakfasts, coffee--honey, I am ready for this right now!!!!!  In fact, if I had to list the  ten gayest novels, or novels that gay men should read, I would definitely cite "Rebecca."

                                      Of course, at this point in time, with my age and experience, hons, certain things begin to blur.  It is impossible for me to read "Rebecca" without seeing the movie in my head, as I do so.  However, it was interesting the discoveries I made on this reading.  Now, girls, if some of you out there have not yet read OR seen "Rebecca," then I suggest you stop here, because I  shall now bring up a number of points that could ruin things for you, if you plan to take "Rebecca" on.

                                      You have to admire Du Maurier's gimmick of writing in the first person, without naming the heroine.  She herself said she just could not think of a name, but I think she is being modest.  Because the truth is, without a name, the specter of Rebecca hangs over things more.  The novel is titled "Rebecca," and by making the narrator anonymous, it is she who exerts a hold on the reader, just as she does Manderly's survivors.

                                       The second discovery is--kissing cousins????  So, Jack Favell and Rebecca were
doing the nasty, down at the cottage???? You better believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                        And what of Rebecca herself????  Was she a tramp?????????  A lesbian?????
All of the above????????  Actually, I think Rebecca was simply what today we would call a sociopath; I don't think the term had come into usage yet.  But, when I read it this time, and put the pieces together--
especially when Maxim relates how, five days into their marriage, Rebecca revealed to him the truth about herself--"things I would never tell a living soul!"--I recognized sociopathy!!!!!!

                                         But the most startling surprise is the ending. In the book, things come to an abrupt, screeching halt. Yes, Manderly still burns down, but there is so much left unanswered and unresolved.

                                          After the ultimate  truth about Rebecca comes out--that she wanted to die, that she egged on Maxim to "kill her" because she had uterine cancer--which must have been a shocker for its time, and is only subtly hinted at in the film--Favell contacts Mrs. Danvers.  The old bat packs her bags and leaves that afternoon.  Late that evening, Maxim and his wife are returning home, and they see some lights burning in the distance.  A flame flickers up.  Maxim says, "That's not lights; that's Manderly!"   And on they speed, towards the conflagration.

                                           And that is how the novel, "Rebecca," ends.

                                            Leaving, especially to the reader coming to all this initially, a myriad of
unanswered questions.  The most, obvious, is who set Manderly aflame????  And, yes, the most obvious choice is Mrs. Danvers, but, since she escaped that afternoon, she would have to come back surreptitiously to start the fire!!!!!  Did she????????  And what of Frith, Robert, and the other servants????   Do they all perish in the blaze???????  Do they get out in time????????????

                                             Du Maurier never says.  Perhaps she wants us to question all of this, to think and ponder upon it.  "Rebecca," is, at heart, a Gothic mystery, and this certainly lends an air of mystery.
However, I much prefer the ending to the movie.  Manderly still burns, as it should, but the questions I have posed are all answered.

                                            It is not surprising that one could almost call "Rebecca" "the Twentieth Century 'Jane Eyre'."  For those of us who adore the Brontes, its influence is unmistakable.  And, considering that Du Maurier later wrote an  historical novel about Bramwell Bronte, it is clear that literary family had a hold on her, as well.

                                           As does "Rebecca" on all us girls who read it!  I can't wait till Thursday night's discussion!  It should be a hoot, and you bet I will give you a full report!  I may even go, dressed as Mrs. Danvers!!!!!!!

                                           We can never go back to Manderly, darlings!  But we can revisit it through this novel!!!!!!!!!!!

                                            And learn fabulous lifestyle tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                   

No comments: