Followers

Monday, August 6, 2012

Girls, Can You Believe Yesterday Was 50 Years, Since Marilyn Monroe's Death??????


                               As I was attending to a domestic crisis yesterday, I was not able to post on one of the most iconic of anniversaries.  A half century has past since the legendary Marilyn Monroe died, and the circumstances of her death are still being debated.

                               When Marilyn left us, in 1962, I was a tender seven years of age, had never heard of her, or was even aware of the incident.  Two years later, on a trip to California, where we visited the Movieland Wax Museum, I saw a recreation of her from "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes."  Actually, this visit made me aware of a lot of things, like Marilyn, and "Sunset Boulevard."  The display for that was one of the biggest in the museum!!!!

                                The following year, 1965, when I was now ten,  on August 5, I heard a radio news  announcer state it was a mere three years since Monroe's passing.  So August 5 always became a benchmark date for me.

                                 Marilyn was SO iconic, darlings, she was beyond anything I wanted to be. I could not even think of wanting to be Marilyn; there was only one.  I loved her and Jane (Russell) in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes," and my favorite song of hers was "After You Get What You Want (You Don't Want It!)," which, I believe, was from "There's No Business Like Show Business."

                                    And, of course, we ALL love Marilyn as Miss Caswell, a graduate of the Copacabana School Of Dramatic Arts in "All About Eve," with her priceless line, "Well, I just can't yell 'Hey, Butler!' can I???? Someone's name may be Butler!"  No wonder she became a star!!!!!

                                    Marilyn transcended her own preconceived image.  She was sharp, intelligent, and willing to learn, as witness her association with Lee Strasberg and family.  She was unquestionably one of the most photographed and written about figures of the last century, even to this day!!!!

                                      And then there was the Kennedy Connection.  Not just her association with those boys, but the mystery hanging over her that her death was not a suicide, but somehow a murder connected to the wake of the Kennedy assassination.  What I did not know till yesterday, according to my beloved, Monsieur, is that the very similar death of columnist Dorothy Kilgallen, had a similar connection.  And neither  has been proven yet!!!!!

                                      I've come a long way, since that August day, in 1962!!!! But, then, haven't we all, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      As Marilyn once said, "we all lose our charms in the end!"  But I am telling you, girls, to hang onto yours as much as possible!!!!!

                                        But not like Joan Rivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: