Followers

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Who Would Guess This Beautiful Setting Boasts Two Ongoing Horror Attractions???????????????


                        Switching from the fictitious setting of "Mamma Mia!" to the actual one of Lake George, New York I have to say I was impressed.  Though thoughts of Theodore Dreiser and "An American Tragedy," not to mention, Kate Smith and "When The Moon Comes Over The Mountain"--though I think that was more Lake Placid-- floated through my head.  As did Christine Ebersole's eleven o'clock number from "Grey Gardens," "Another Winter In A Summer Town."  If I had known the song I would have stood in the middle of the street,and sung it.  There was no denying the pictorial quality of the community, but it did have  that end-of-season feel.

                       Not that this stopped us from doing things.  We first went on a lunchtime cruise on a steamboat, which served lunch, to take in the beauty of the lake. Ours was Le Lac Du Saint Sacrement, just right for one who has sat through "The Song Of Bernadette" dozens of times!

                         This is where we saw much of the scenic splendor, and the array of palatial homes and hotels along the lake.  I had known of Lake George for years, as some sort of summer haven affluent New Yorkers could retreat to, when they wanted something even farther away than the Hamptons, but I had never been there, so had no idea how beautiful it actually was.  And the timing was perfect, for the Fall foliage was out in all its glory.

                          But, when the bus took us to the Village, and let us roam around for about ninety minutes, that's when surprises popped up.  Like a bookstore I walked out of empty handed, because half the items on display, were, I think, vanity produced.  And Christie's Lane, a mini side mall, leading to a restaurant at the foot of the lake that, needless to say, was closed, but I would love to come back to.  But here is the real surprise!

                           Imagine walking down the street of your town, and seeing this, every day!  Highland Park; are you kidding?  Imagine living in Lake George, and working at such a place!!!!!!!!!!  I can almost see myself doing it!

                             Anyway, we went through this attraction, which was staring at us right from the street!  It was loads of fun, very well organized, with many surprises.  I was taken with how thorough, in a literary and historical context, this attraction was.  And it wasn't just Frankenstein--Dracula, The Phantom Of The Opera, The Creature From The Black Lagoon--kinda cute!--were represented, along with serial killers, the history of torture and witchcraft, even Jason Voorhees and Freddy Krueger. Not to mention Edgar Allan Poe!!!!!  Sure, it was tacky, in its own way, as Asbury or Point Pleasant, but you have to give it credit for being in Lake George.  Who knew?  And what I call The Equilibrium Passage will almost bring you down.  It nearly did, with me!

                           But wait, darlings!  Just down the street from the museum we went to, is Dr. Morbid's--that's right!!!--Haunted House.  We really wanted to go there, too, but apparently this is a walking tour, with a guide, and done only at selected times.  The next tour yesterday was four PM..  We were there at three  twenty, but we had to be back on the bus at three forty five, when it pulled out, to take us back home.  So, this will have to wait another time!

                            Two horror attractions in the same town!!!!!!!!!  Where else can you find that?

                             The trip, door to door, was sixteen hours, more than half of that sitting on a bus.  You want to talk about a pain in the ass?  No,. girls, I am not going there, but I can tell you I am still feeling pained and bet from all that sitting, yesterday.  I would not have missed it for the world!

                             And no matter where I go, horror seems to follow me!  Sort of a pre-Halloween celebration!!!!!!!!!!

                              You got that, Ryan Murphy?????????????????????


No comments: