Followers

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

I Can't Help It! The Tearjerkers Just Keep Coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                           The recent passing of Maureen O'Hara has left me with a deep yearning either to re-see John Ford's 1941 masterpiece, "How Green Was My Valley," or reread the Richard Llewellyn novel.

                            Of course, my fondest hope is that TCM will air it as a tribute to Maureen O'Hara.  I know MOMA is screening it on Friday, November 27 at, I think 1:30PM, for those who can make it, but I expect to be in Pennsylvania for Thanksgiving.

                             The last time I saw this film, which I think was in a film club, I broke down sobbing.  The mood of loss is established from the start, and the film builds to that, complete with the climactic mining accident, and the scene here which gets me every time--young Huw Morgan (Roddy McDowall, in his screen debut!) being hauled from the mines, holding his dead father (Donald Crisp, who won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar that year for his performance!!!!!!!!!) in his arms.

                                Along with the aforementioned scene, days earlier, from "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn," these are the two of the most wrenching scenes captured on film.  Maureen's death made me think of this film readily.

                                  Let's hope they show it, darlings!  It is a must...especially if you have never seen it!

                                Here is the stunning, famous eighteen acre set. Note the stunning cinematography by Arthur Miller; he,  Composer Alfred Newman and Set Decorator Thomas Little joined forces again, two years later, in 1943, to create the same type of artistry in another one of my favorites, "The Song Of Bernadette."  This shot is highly characteristic of that style!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: