Followers

Monday, February 29, 2016

Head For The Hills, Girls!!!!!!!!!!!!! That Martha Clarke Is At It, Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                               Oh, my God!  Martha Clarke!!!!!!!!! Thirty years ago, when I was young and venturesome, I made my way down to the Public Theatre, where, at the Newman, where "A Chorus Line" was originally performed, (just that was enough to excite me!!!!!!!) I rushed to see something everyone was talking about called "Vienna Lufthaus," by Martha Clarke.

                                Of course, I had heard of Martha Clarke.  I mean, I knew of "The Garden Of Earthly Delights," and until I saw 'Lufthaus,' I was curious to see this other work.  But the one I saw cured me of Martha.

                                  The imagery in "Vienna Lufthaus" was stunning.  My memory recalls it as a series of moments of poetic tableaux.  The problem was it did not move much.  People arranged themselves on the stage, but they did not seem to dance.  Martha was later what I called in the Susan Stroman tradition; both know how to block out stage imagery, and make it look impressive,  But the movement and feeling that other choreographers bring to their work is always missing with them.

                                     Let me tell you, there is NOT an island big enough to house Martha Clarke, Julie Taymor, and Diane Paulus.  The egos are just too much.

                                      Now, the latest is that Martha has gotten together something at the Signature Theatre  she calls "Angel Reapers."  My God, it looks like a cross between  the musical "Plain and Fancy," and "The Crucible" done as a dance piece!!!!!!!!!!!!  Heaven help us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                     I mean, this is what all the fuss is about? And the run of the thing has been extended at the Signature!  Don't you realize it is time to hang it up, Martha?

                                       Remember what Martha Scott, as Adelaide (standing in for Lucia Chase) said in "The Turning Point--"  "Dearie, even Emma has to move on.  Just like the rest of us."

                                         Wise advice to follow, Martha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: