Followers

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Holy Calories!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What Has Happened To Anna Deavere Smith???????????????


                           Now, darlings, I know we all cannot be Blythe Danner--and more's the pity, and I should know--but I have to confess, when I saw Anna Deavere Smith, an artist whose work I revere, but have not seen in a long time, guest starring as the warden on 'SVU,' I was initially shocked by her appearance.

                           I mean have you seen that annoying Weight Watchers commercial, where a still, shall we say not petite Oprah, extols its joy, and that she loves bread, and eats it every day??????????  Oh, my God, give it a break, Oprah!!!!!!!!!  And what about your blood sugar levels???????????

                             Not only was I shocked, when I saw Anna, I was concerned.  I was also shocked to discover she is 65; she is till a good looking woman, and she sure does not look it.  But, she sure as hell cannot wear Balenciaga!!!!!!!!!!!!

                               Oprah and Anna need to switch places.  The former needs to shut up, and the latter needs help--get Kiristie Alley; look what she accomplished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                You stuff that bread, all you want Oprah, if it makes you happy!  But I don't see Anna Wintour knocking on your door!

                                  Please Miss Smith, take care of yourself.  You are of too much value to a rapidly dwindling artistic community!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                  And, Oprah, you keep eatin' that bread, honey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                               

2 comments:

Videolaman said...

Anna Deveare Smith was among the most unexpected people ever cast as a TV series regular when she signed up to play Edie Falco's boss in "Nurse Jackie". She wound up being a chief reason to watch that show: her performance as Gloria Akelitis, moody administrator (previously head of nursing) at All Saint's Hospital, was a blast. Anna always came off as a real, living, breathing, exciting character: no small feat on a series that revolved eccentric, heightened, somewhat unbelievable characters. Here and there Anna missed half a season or so (the series ran an unbelievable seven years), and the show always suffered a steep decline in her absence.

Definitely one of her best roles. Years from now, if anyone remembers "Nurse Jackie" at all, it will be for Anna Deveare Smith (and perhaps breakout supporting actress Merritt Weaver). Edie Falco's hammy predictability and ridiculous characterization won't even be on anyone's radar.

The Raving Queen said...


I wish I had known Anna was on the show: I would have watched it. I have seen her early stage work, and know first hand how brilliant she is. She was great in the SVU segment, as well, though her appearance was shocking to me. Hope if she has health issues, she is taking care of them.