Followers

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

There Is More Weight To This Volume Than Meets The Eye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                        At 177 pages, I thought "Dept. Of Speculation" would be nothing more than a bit of fluff.  Why the hell had it made the NY Times Ten Best List for 2014????????  I had to find out.

                                        What I discovered was an elliptically written novel, which some may find masquerades as a quick read.  Except one has to read and savor, slowly, Offill's  prose, to allow her tale of marital disintegration to accumulate.  Slowly, inexorably, the whole darkness of the relationship herein, sneaks up on the reader, until there is no turning back, only the hope of moving on.

                                            It is actually quite ingenious; more than I ever expected.  I am not sure if I would have put it on MY list, but I can see, now, why The Times did.

                                             And I would like to read more of Jenny Offill.

                                             Imagine--all this, on a weekend, following a migraine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: