Followers

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Remember When Burgeoning, Baby Boomer Gays, Would Attempt To Replicate This Pose???????????????????


                             Believe it or not, darlings, thoughts of "Sweet Charity" came up, while I was doing some research on Mary-Louise Parker.    I was looking at one of the few lighthearted clips of an early film of hers--"Longtime Companion, " involving the scene where the young man, thinking he is alone in his apartment, puts on the album of "Dreamgirls," and lip syncing to it, until his boyfriend walks in.

                               Of course, when "Dreamgirls" was first out, I did, this, too--and still do, sometimes. But it took me back to 1966, and this record cover of "Sweet Charity," which all us burgeoning and I am sure even more out gay men, back then, would try and replicate, themselves.

                                 Darlings, it was so much fun.  I used to find a long tank undershirt, the kind I wore as a child, dress in my undies, grab one of my mother's purses, and do this pose in the mirror, and wherever, in order to try and become "Sweet Charity."  Even though I had not heard the score yet, the cover was enough.  Of course, once I heard "Hey, Big Spender," all bets were off.

                                    I still attempt to do this every so often. But the years have dragged on.  It's not like it was, when I was young.

                                   
                                   Now, here is that number done by a bunch of guys!  See how well it works?

                                    You know they all imitated Gwen, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: