Followers

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Sometimes, It Is Fun To Rediscover Childhood Pleasures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                   Of course, rediscovering childhood pleasures is dependent upon the material given to do just that.  No sooner than I began Jonathan Auxier's novel, I began to ask myself, "Who is this Jonathan Auxier?  This guy is terrific!" Leave it to my niece to know good authors; Auxier is so good I want to read more of him.

                                     "Peter Nimble And His Fantastic Eyes" is at heart a simple tale, but its scope is tremendous.  It harvests, skillfully I might add, Dickens, Shakespeare and Robert Louis Stevenson in ways I recognized but might awaken younger readers to a desire to read those authors. Which is not a bad idea.

                                        I loved Auxier's pen and ink drawings. He has an especially skilled way with sea monsters. But, then, they have always fascinated me.

                                          This is a quest story, led by a blind boy.  It starts out in 19th Century England then goes to places beyond the imagination, and I loved every step of the way.

                                            I smell a series here.  I hope Auxier is not done with Peter Nimble. I want to hear more from him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                              Who is Jonathan Auxier?  A breath of fresh air on the Children's Lit horizon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: