Followers

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Oh, My God!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another Musical Theater Week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                  Musical Theater Week is that leading up to my own birthday, on the 18th, wherein so many Musical Theater Legends and favorites of mine were born.  I was premature, so it
was like I was meant to be born amidst all these folk, and bestowed with a penchant for theater and the arts.

                                     Alas, there is a sad note to today.  This should have been the 70th birthday of Sammy Williams, who originated the role of Paul in "A Chorus Line," and whose song "I Can Do That" is actually his story.  But he passed away eight months ago, on March 17, of cancer, at 69.  The first Musical Theater Week to celebrate without him.  And the same year as my father, and Aretha, too!

                                       Seeing the Original Company of "A Chorus Line," back in 1975, and with my father, was a life changing experience.  Seeing Sammy do "Paul's Monologue" was the best one I have ever seen, or will now see.  And it touched into my own experiences as well.

                                         So, let us remember Sammy joyfully on this day, as we begin Musical Theater Week!

                                           Here is an excerpt from Sammy's Paul Monologue, as well as a tribute to him!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                           You are missed, Sammy, and Happy Musical Theater Week to all of us, who are still here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: