Followers

Friday, November 23, 2018

What I Have To Read From "The New York Times Most Notable Books Of 2018 List!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                                     According to my sources, Thursday, November 29, is when The Times will announce its Ten Best.  There is no way I can read all I must by then, but I will do my best. And, then we shall see what they chose, as oppose to I, and how much, or not, we match.

                                       But, returning to the larger list, here is what I have GOT to read!
       
                                                 1.
Oh, my God, do I have to!  I know Michelle Obama loved it, but I have heard it referred to as accelerated chick lit!  So, what gives?  Only way one to find out. And since it made the 100 List, I WILL be reading it.

2.
I have been seeing this all year on book store tables, and wondered what the hell it was.  Drugs, prison, violence--do I need this in my life?  It is just edgy enough The Times may put it on their list, so I had better read it.

3.
                                                 All I will say is I have heard good things from those I respect.  It is short enough, so it is worth a shot!

                                                                                4.
I have it here, waiting to be read.  Daisy, WHO?????????  I never even heard of it, till it made the list, but now everyone is talking about how good it is!  I cannot afford to ignore it!

5.

Another book I did not hear about, till this week!  It just came out weeks ago!  And in paper!  But it is generating buzz.  The Times always tries to get in a short story collection, and these sound edgy enough that it just may make it.  We shall see!  But I plan to read it!

7.
Winner of the National Book Award, this book grabs me with its dog angle, but not with its suicidal aspects.  Will I conquer my fear, and read it?  Probably, though making the Top Five List could help!!!!!!!!!!!!

8.
Saga, saga, saga!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Big, sprawling and generational is how this novel has been described. And I cannot resist this type of fiction.  So count me in, for reading this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
9
.

Here is another one I am ambivalent about.  I read her first one, "Outline, and was not transfixed by that.  But, as each keeps turning up on the Ten Best List, I think I will  be obligated to read the entire trilogy.  But not till this volume comes out in paper.  The other two are waiting!!!!!!!!!!!
10.
                                Another important writer I go hot and cold on.  Have not heard a word, so I am holding my breath.  The way I feel, if I get to it, fine. If not, I will live.

                                                                            11.
"Macbeth?"  By Jo Nesbo?  Are you kidding me?
Only if, darlings, only if!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12.
Not to be confused with "The Women's Room," by Marilyn French.  It is waiting on my shelf, and I have heard it called Dickensian, so I hold out hope.  But if it is as all over the place like "The Flame Throwers," that finishes me with Miss Kushner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13.
Really?  REALLY?  Do I have to?  Because that means I will have to read the other five. Please, do NOT let this end up on the Ten Best.  But what do you bet it does, darlings?  If so, I am screwed!!!!!!!!!!!!

14.
Same as above.  Only if it makes the Ten Best. And that is a MAYBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15.
Another title staring at me from tables all year. It has been awhile since I read this author, so Top Five or not, it may be time to give this one a try!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16.
It is all enough to intrigue me, darlings!  Count me in!!!!!!!!!!

17.

Oh, my God!  Richard Powers!  I love him!  "The Time Of Our Singing" was a favorite of mine. That this book made the 100 List is signal enough I have GOT to read it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18.
Who could ever forget "We Need To Talk About Kevin?"  And the structure of this book sounds intriguing. Another I have had my eye on, wondering, but now it has made the 100 List, it bears checking out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19.

A book about Hollywood is enough for me.  I have heard good things, but others got in the way.  Now, I will have to take a look at it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20.

Exactly the kind of liberal laced, exotically set work of fiction I crave!  Glad it turned up here, or I might not have known about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21.

The cover frightens me; it reminds me of  "A Brief History Of Seven Killings," which I could not even get through.  But this is a series of interconnected short stories set in India, and I LOVE Indian fiction.  So, my eye is on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22.
This last title is what I intend to begin reading, as soon as I am off here, and can find some time. I love Tana French, and her Dublin Irish detective fiction, but this is a departure, involving an art gallery publicist, and an unsolved murder that haunts his family.  Sounds like things are in a place for a fun, literate read!  Let it carry me away, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As you can see, dolls, the cart is full!  If I get through even half of these, I will be doing good.  But stay tuned, because I will be making, over the next couple of days, what I think The Times will pick, and what I think SHOULD be picked!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whom to listen to?  You decide, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Videolaman said...

I haven't glanced at book reviews (other than yours) in an age, but recently looked up the Elena Ferrante novels that spawned the acclaimed "My Brilliant Friend" TV adaptation currently running on HBO (yes, believe it or not, this is HBO's followup to "Sharp Objects").

In the comments section of Ferrante reviews, I saw countless snarky remarks re how utterly reviled "My Struggle" has become, with Karl Ove Knausgård now considered the poster boy of the "New Pretentiousness" school. If I saw one nasty "Mein Kampf" comparison, I saw a hundred. Plus, I had no idea the book title was also satirized by "The X Files" reboot, which used " My Struggle Pt 1" as the name of its first episode, and "my Struggle Pt 2" as the name of its last!

Yeah, this guy Knausgård is not thought of too fondly at the moment.

The Raving Queen said...


Darling,
Starting with the Neapolitan Novels--
I read them all, and found them overrated.
The first and third were the best, the
second and fourth disappointing, as they
lost the momentum of their presecessors.

When it comes to pretentiousness, the NYTimes
is not immune. I gurantee the last volume of
"My Struggle" will end up on the Ten Best List,
in which case forget it. Life is short, getting
shorter, and I have better things to do than waste
my reading time.

See my post for what I think will be on the
list, which is supposed to be announced tomorrow.