Followers

Saturday, January 19, 2019

When Eve Blackmails Karen, She Is Upstaged In One Way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                Well, two actually.  The first is the décor of the film's "Ladies...shall we say?...lounge?," which certainly outdoes any I have been in.  The second is Celeste Holm's outfit. designed to Oscar winning perfection by Edith ("She gave good costume!") Head, and Charles Le Maire.  That perfectly coiffed hair, that outfit, with sparkles, and those pearls, so cunningly arranged.  I am telling you, I have to learn how to tie my pearls, just like Celeste Holm as Karen Richards.  Maybe I need an "Eve" to help me with that.

                                Are you kidding?  Do you think anyone would replace ME?  Do you even THINK I would ALLOW it????????  If this had been my story, I would have played Cora, and Eve and Phoebe would have been kicked out on the street, back to that lesbian crawlspace Eve was residing at, with that other bitch, when she allegedly phoned Lloyd Richards (Hugh Marlowe) in desperation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                  But back to Celeste, as Karen.  I always loved her, because of her outfits, and because she resembled my earliest remembrance of my late, sainted Aunt Katty, (for Kathleen) my father's older sister.  My aunt was a carefree career girl, which I aspired to be, and though a Catholic spinster, she got the most out of life.  She was kind of an inspiration for me, and I was glad she had been chosen to be my Godmother, at my baptism.

                                   And Celsete played the Fairy Godmother, in 1964, in "Rodgers'  And Hammerstein's Cinderella," with Lesley Ann Warren, back in 1964.  Unlike my aunt, Celeste had a big number--"Impossible"--and magical gifts!!!!!!!!  My aunt had special gifts of her own.  She should have been canonized a saint.

                                    But Celeste, as Karen, helped me to learn to notice the importance of women dressing impeccably, later tailoring this for myself.

                                     Next time you watch this scene, darlings, notice how Celeste upstages Anne Baxter's evil, black, faux chemise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      And, then in the awards scene, where Eve is at her phoniest, notice how closely her gown resembles Karen's earlier dress.

                                       As Bette Davis said, in an interview, "How does any Eve do it?"

                                      How do we, girls??????????????????????????

No comments: