Followers

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Why Aren't These Books Published Anymore??????????????????????????????????








                             Children's literature changes over time, I know.  But some things ought to remain timeless.  When I haunted the children's book section, it was always series--The Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew, Cherry Ames, The Hardy Boys, Tom Swift.

                               Try finding these today.  Though Nancy Drew has been morphed, over the years, from the fabulously chic, glamour 30's chick I loved, to something on the verge of today, which is like a fashion no-no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                               I was a varied reader, so had trouble attaching myself to a series for the duration.  But one that I absolutely loved, which I discovered in my fifth grade classroom, were the Doctor Dolittle Books, by Hugh Lofting.  I know I read at least two, "The Story Of Doctor Dolittle," and "The Voyages Of Doctor Dolittle."  I loved Jip, the dog, Gub Gub, the pig, and Dab Dab, the duck.

                                I really wanted to read the one where Doctor Dolittle goes to the moon.

                                 But I shortly transitioned to adult fiction, and, when I got curious again about the series, I found the only one now in print is the first, "The Story Of Doctor Dolittle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

                                    Now, several nights ago, I had the weirdest dream.  I was on the East Side of Manhattan, heading for a revival house, showing two Sixties films--"The Ipcress File," with Michael Caine, and the 1967 musical, "Doctor Dolittle," with Rex Harrison, which just about did in 20th Century-Fox, and which I never got a chance to see, even though I had the soundtrack album, which was pretty terrible.

                                      Still, in the dream, seated in the auditorium, were two former coworkers.  I did not expect to see them, let alone anyone I know, here. let alone ex workers.  When one saw me, they abruptly got up, and seated themselves somewhere else.  In my row, sat another coworker, who got up, left, but not before hissing at me, "You shouldn't be here!"

                                          What was going on?  And I only wanted to see "Doctor Dolittle," really!
                                         Really, this was the most anticipated film, at my age, of 1967.  It looked visually lush, but was dramatically and narratively a mess.  Rex Harrison was SO miscast.  Try keeping a straight face, during the song, "When I Look In Your Eyes," which is a love song he sings, to Sophie, the seal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                             The animals steal the show, here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                              Get the movie's taste out of our mouths!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                               Republish the original Hugh Lofting books!  ALL of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



No comments: