Followers

Friday, January 20, 2023

Claude Rains Was Great, As Always, In "The Invisible Man!" But Frank Sinatra? That's Another Story!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                            Girls, I promise I will get to Frankie in a minute, but first I must sing the praises of the 1933 "The Invisible Man."



                              I had forgotten it was directed by James Whale.  The opening shot, where he is walking through the snow, is worthy of "Wuthering Heights."  The H.G. Wells Man vs. God trope was superbly done, livened by Rains' vocal performance, and a spectacular turn by veteran Una O'Connor, whose hysterics were hilarious.  If you think this is all she is good for, check out her understated work in John Ford's 1935 "The Informer," or as Mrs. Gummidge in Selznick's "David Copperfield," released that same year.



                              Once more, this gem still holds up.  And on its 90th anniversary, yet.



                            As for Svengoolie--

                            Frank Sinatra?  "The Man With The Golden Arm?"  Are you kidding?



                           This was always known as an A-list 1955 film.  Besides Sinatra, who earned a Best Actor Oscar nomination, the cast includes Darren McGavin, Kim Novak, and Eleanor Parker, who, as the wife, turns in the most hilarious performance in the film, on a par with Judith Evelyn in "The Tingler," four years later.



                             Which got me thinking.  The more the footage was watched, the campier it seemed.  At first, I thought "Sventoonie" was going to deconstruct 1936's "Reefer Madness," which would have been a hoot.  Then I got to thinking maybe to today's audiences 'Arm' might seem as campy as "Reefer Madness," and I think this is what "Sventoonie" was trying to show.  It finally kicked in with me, and I went with it, but I would still like to see this film in its entirety.



                                 But, for "Sventoonie" to spring such a surprise!  Darling, be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                   Or else we won't know what to wear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Ask David about the guest appearances of Frank Sinatra Jr. on Family Guy.
Some of my favorite episodes!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
I just asked David, and he agrees.
Had no idea Jr. was a guest on "Family Guy."
I liked Nancy more because of 'Boots.'