Followers

Thursday, January 26, 2023

A Sad, Premature Farewell To Lance Kerwin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                       Most of us will remember Lance as he looked on the left.  This picture on the right, showing how he looked in present times, does not speak well.  He died on January 24, and his daughter, Savannah, said she appreciates the outpouring from fans and friends.



                         But the cause of death was not revealed.  Looking at that older picture, it suggests to me only two possibilities--drugs or suicide.  Which is why people want to know the cause of death.  Especially in someone who epitomized youth, but sure did not maintain it.  Indications are he had a hard adult life.


                         I would like to focus more on the Lance most on here remember.  For us oldsters, he gave us a chance to reflect back on our adolescence in "James At 15," while navigating it those facing the traumas of that life period.  And I remember, after the episode where James loses his virginity--to a woman, of course; this was prime-time TV in the Seventies, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!--it became "James At 16."


                        Now that he is gone, I would love to see the TV adaptation of  " 'Salem's Lot."  I may just look at up on You Tube.


                       But the performance I best remember him for is in the 1976 autobiographical drama "The Loneliest Runner."  It was based on the abusive childhood and adolescence of actor Michael Landon, and while the names were changed, the incidents were real.   Kerwin was impressive in the running scenes, which he did at 16, but the chilling performance of De Ann Mears as his mother, and their scenes, made the film almost horrific because of what was done to this poor child.  Did anyone here get an Emmy?  All three--Lance, De Ann, and Brian Keith as the father--gave Emmy caliber performances.


                         So, it is with great sadness that my girls and I say farewell to Lance Kerwin, a gifted talent who left this world far too soon.  But the work will live on.


                            Rest In Peace, Lance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Mistress Maddie said...

When I heard I had no idea who it was until I saw his youth picture. And then I record him from several things.

Victoria said...

Me too I recognized him immediately from his young pic, poor guy had a challenging life, sounds like.

The Raving Queen said...

Mistress Maddie,
If I had just seen his aged picture, I would
not have known who he was. Life really did a number
on him. And to think I wanted, as a child, so much to
be a child star. If I had, I would probably today be
Bette Davis as Baby Jane Hudson!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,

It is interesting the cause of death has not been
given. My guess, unfortunately, is suicide or drugs.