Followers

Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Eloiise Was Always Famous For Going To The Plaza! But Today, Could She Afford It????????????????



                   Not just Eloise, darlings, but in the late 80's, early 90's--my God, an era ago!!!!!!--I was a habitue at The Palm Court in The Plaza Hotel.  Once a month, I would treat myself to afternoon tea. Back then, the price was $33 a person, which was expensive, but, even on my then tenuous salary, it did not require me to go into debt.  Because I saved for it.



                    Now, David has the week of President's Day off, and we are planning a staycation in NYC. One thing we want to do is afternoon tea.  So, I started looking for places.  My first choice was The Palm Court but listen to this.  A tea for two, minus champagne, is $170 per person.  Can you believe that?  I could do a high tea at home, cheaper than that!!!!!!!!!!  Oh, and if you should want champagne, it is $195 per person.  



                     Can you believe that darlings? Between $340 and $390 for tea?????????  Close to $400? Are you kidding me?  I was looking forward to a Dolly Levi like return--I wonder, if Boris, the waiter who always used to serve me, is still there? --but at these prices I don't think Dolly herself would go there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                     Over intervening years, I have always preferred the Astor Court at The St. Regis Hotel.  Their tea was always reasonable.  It still is, if compared to The Plaza, but can you imagine--now it is $115 per person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I think the last time we went it was $70 or $75!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                        Is there any place in NYC for afternoon tea that is less than three figures a person?  Because I would like to know.  And please don't tell me Tea And Sympathy, because, while the tea is good, it is a Village tourist trap.  And I firmly believe the words of Gladys Cooper in 1942's "Now, Voyage---" "Please try to remember, Charlotte, that we are NOT commercial travelers.  It is bad enough having to associate with these tourists on board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"



                          Indeed!  Somewhere in this city, there must be a reasonabe afternoon tea.



                          If only we could find it!  Help me, girls, please!



                          And do not suggest a diner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Victoria said...

hmm Lady Mendl’s is only like, fifty-nine dollars.

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
Lady Mendl is one of the places we
are looking into. There are also some.
places in Brooklyn that may be cheaper,
so, we are not limiting ourselves to Manhattan.

Victoria said...

Yes that was one of the places we researched for our eventual Taking Mother To One Last NYC Visit!!

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,
Were there any others? I am curious.
The Pierre is outrageous too.