Followers

Friday, May 24, 2024

Maybe We Should Be A Bit Like Sally Bowles??????????????????


                             I know, darlings, so many of us have wanted to be Sally, playing nightly at the Kit Kat Klub.  I can tell you; I would love it.



                              But what happened to Sally after the story ended?  Sure, she has the right attitude, but things in Berlin only got worse.  What might have happened to Sally?



                               I know there are some who may think Sally was swallowed up by the Holocaust, but the survivor I remember from "Cabaret," I think would have found a way, once she gleaned the approach of trouble--Sally was not a fool! --and would somehow have escaped



                                 So much of these times echo "Cabaret's," I wonder, like Sally, what would we do, and like "Frau Schneider's song, "What Would You Do?"   At their time in the story, they did not have the answers, but I think both found their way.



                                    And that is what we must do, darlings, find our way.  But I can tell you one thing!



                                   It won't be the South, or Florida!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                  And, like Sally, I still have some time to go on my stay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




2 comments:

Victoria said...

grown old like me, with neither the will nor wish to run,
grown tired like me, who hurries to bed when day is done,
grown wise like me, no longer at war with anyone...
lyrics like that grow more poignant as time goes on

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
Oh, those lyrics resonate with me. When Lotte Lenya sang them, it came from a place of experience, as she and Kurt Weill fled Berlin, so she knew firsthand what was going on. Even in the Park Slope production we saw two years ago that number was heartbreaking. Yes, and as one ages they become more heartbreaking. The scary thing about "Cabaret," the show or the movie is how so much of it reminds me of...today! Very scary.