Followers

Friday, May 10, 2024

The MET Gala 2024!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                  Girls, Blake Lively and I have more than just our closets in common.  We both did not make it to this year's gala, and except for the few things I will show, the event was a travesty.



                                     ANNA, ANNA, what are you doing?  You desperately need me for an assistant.



                                    Or maybe one of these designers!



                                   Meanwhile, look at Dan Levy one of the best dressed at this event, in an Ann Loewe outfit!  Ann, your sense of color is great, so if you need an assistant, look here.  Same with you, Dan.  Though, as a New Yorker, I don't drive, and I may have go bi-coastal.  The only bi thing I would ever consider!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                   The theme of the Costume Institute exhibit is "Sleeping Beauties--Reawakening Fashion."  Really?  Because there was so much white it was almost Beatonesque, and the gratuitous displays of nudity made it tasteless.  Had I been working on the project I would have done something about it.



                                     But what can one do, after choosing JLo as a chair?  Honestly, the woman looks like trash off the streets, which is where she belongs!!!!!!!!!!!



                                       Nevertheless, some things did catch my eye, and I would like to share them with you.

                                      Here is Gwendoline Christie, in Maison Margiela.  At least there is some sense of color, but where the hell is Charles De Vilmorin??????????????? 
                             Here in Jordan Roth in Valentino.  Love the colors, but Jordan, honey, lose that head piece at once, and substitute it with a glamourous hairstyle.  But this color is what I AM looking for, dolls!

                            And here is our own ANNA, classic and colorful in an outfit designed by Ann Loewe.  Ann, you are someone to watch out for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                         Oh, my God, here we have Gigi Hadid, in an outfit by Thom Browne and Chopard.  Though a mixture of black and white, it radiates color, with her hair, and the blue floor ground surrounding her. Definitely on the right track!
                                        Look at Cynthia Erivo in Thom Browne.  Guess he has a flair for color, after all.  Hey, Tom, you need help?  I am ready and waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                          Look at Amanda Seyfried, in this Prada outfit, with jewelry by Chaumet.  Amanda is not a little girl anymore.  And if the devil DOES wear Prada, with this sense of style, I would be happy to work for them.  Prada, I mean, not the Devil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                             Though Nicole Kidman could seem to be passing off a Beaton design, it is actually by one of my favorites, Balenciaga!  Hey, can you find me a place in the organization?
                                          Now, here is a gentleman who knows dress and color.  This is Ed Sheeran in a suit by Stella McCartney.  What a refreshing display of color. I have had my eye on Stella for a long time.  How about giving an Africando a chance?
                                          Oh, my God!  As Nelly Korda proves, with this beautiful array of color, nothing can go wrong when designed by Oscar de la Renta.  I look for his creations all the time.  Hey, Osco, let me help you with the business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                            Darlings, would you believe a Culkin made it to The MET Gala, let alone anywhere?  Here is Kieran, once so promising in "Igby Goes Down,"--but what has he done since? --in a stunningly colored outfit by KidSuper, a brand I must give a look to, and for which they may need some help.  He is accompanied by Jazz Charlton in an outfit by Fred Leighton.  Nice frills, doll, but not enough color.  It almost does not matter, thanks to Kieran.
                                        Ever since her appearance as C.Z. Guest in "Feud--Capote Vs. The Swans," Chloe Sevigny, with whom I share a November 18 birthday, has become quite the fashionista about town.  Here she is in an outfit designed by Dilara Findikoglu and Ana Khouri.  Who?  Oh, well, maybe Chloe is trying to promote their brand.  I am all for encouraging designers.  Good luck, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                            Now, here is Michelle Yeoh in an outfit by Balenciaga, one of my favorite designers. Though silvery in appearance, the gown gives off a dazzling aura of color.  I don't know if any Schiaparelli was represented, but so far I have seen none, and there is a lot to live up to, with all the Balenciaga creations.
                                             This is Nicky Maraj in a Marni outfit.  Too much leg showing for my taste, but the plethora of colors cannot be ignored, which makes it A-plus in my book


                                               All this represents some of the best.  Here is the worst--

                            By far, the worst dressed was Cardi B in this awful black getup by Windowsen.  Too much black, first of all, and Windowsen?  Who?  With stuff like this they will be out selling street rags within a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                               Some are too graphic and grotesque to even show.  For themes of "Sleeping Beauties" and "The Garden Of Time," things were fast and loose.  Maybe the nude ones were emulating Eve in the Garden?



                                  There is always next year, girls!   And let us hope so.  Because this one was a bust!!!!!!!!!!!!!














                                                                                

5 comments:

Victoria said...

you know I’m with you on beauty, class, energy, elegance, and COLOR!!!!
there’s always next year...

Mistress Maddie said...

I agree. It was a famine of fashion honey! One of the most under whelming of the Met's Balls I have ever seen. The only two I liked were Gwendoline Christie and Nicole Kidman. I saw Anna talking about the gala and said there had been a snap-fu on their part. The original theme was so vague, she sent out an adenium to guest with the new theme but said she thinks she further confused the guest to what the actual theme was.

But a fun fact, I was talking to a drag queen friend of mine in NYC, and she recalled going to the ball way back in the early 90's under Pat Buckley's direction, when anyone could go, and most ignored the theme. She went with a friend from Visionnaire magazine, with sky high hair, and a $20 mod dress from a thrift shop. Many of my gay friends in the city thought it was more fun under Diana Vreeland's reign...but I won't tell that to Anna, I adore her too.

Never been myself, I was more into the Imperial Court and Night of a Thousand Gowns.

The Raving Queen said...

Mistress Maddie--
What an interesting post. I would love to have gone back in the day, had I known. And are last two events held still?

Had I been working on this, there would have been no confusion. And some of the guests outfits I would have turned away, at the door/
.

Have a pre-dinner gimlet, darling!

Mistress Maddie said...

Oh yes!!!!! The Imperial Court of New York was proud to Introduce a few months ago; The Desert Siren Empress of Grace, Heart and Courage, Empress XXXVIII – Ruby Starling, and Emperor XXXIII
Jeffery The Second!

And I agree, they should have had you at the door.

The Raving Queen said...

Mistress Maddie,
Thanks for the info. and kind words.
Have a fabulous weekend!