Followers

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Allez-Vites, Mes Petits Enfants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                             When I first lived in Bay Ridge, darlings, from 1983, until 1997, the lower part of Bay Ridge Avenue, that is, the part between Third Avenue and Ridge Boulevard, was a rather rundown, dicey area.  Respectable people simply would not venture there, after dark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                              Now that I have moved back to "the Ridge," as it is affectionately called, in tandem with my lovely and loving partner, I have discovered a great many changes.  Like, you should see this area now!!!! Granted, it is still darkly lit, but along this thoroughfare is now a Key Foods market, with flexible hours, and the most sophisticated array of foodstuffs this side of Greenwich Village!!!!!!  I have to say, girls, initially it came to me as a shock, but a pleasing shock, indeed.

                             Well, now there is another.  Monsieur, my partner, is, to his credit, more venturesome than I am, so when he said he wanted to dine out and try something new, I was  skeptical.  You see, dolls, I am a Creature Of  Habit; I stake out the territory, mark what become my spots, and they become MY spots.

                                As we turned onto this section of the street, I was appalled; I thought he wanted to go the red doored Spanish type restaurant, that not only looked seedy, but had a Marshall's sign on the door, so we could not go, anyway.  We proceeded past the Key Foods, and when we stopped at Petit Oven, I said "Oh!" with a surprise.  Since moving back here just two months before, I had been curious about this little spot.  Like, for starters, what had been here before????  A nail salon????? Hair stylist????? Brothel????? Numbers Runner??????????

                                 Well, darlings, once we stepped inside, it was class all the way!!!!!!!   These are no courtesans, darlings, but two hard working gals, Nicole Guarino and Katrynza Plasjz, who have turned this little space into a romantic French-American bistro--a real  hideaway even in Bay Ridge!!!!!--with the most scrumptious menu this side of One If By Land, Two If By Sea.  Though we arrived early, business was booming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                    Let's see....what did we have?  I started with a Caesar Salad , which was luscious, even with the capers, while Monsieur had, I believe, the more exotic Salad Special, consisting of goat cheese and watermelon.  I know we both has pasta dishes; mine was a luscious Fettuccine, with Truffle Forest Mushrooms, in a luscious cream sauce, while Monsieur had a Penne in some kind of Pumpkin Pesto Sauce, which I sampled, and it proved delicious!!!!!!!!!!  We had no wine, as I had imbibed already this week, at my "therapeutic meal" at Vesuvio, so we settled for water and beverages.  And no coffee, because it was after 8, and I was working the next day!  I promise, girls, next time we return, we will have coffee.

                                      It was a good thing we shared the desert, because a full portion would have done us both in. A rich, hot bread pudding, with whipped cream and caramel sauce  was placed before us, and was so luscious we wanted to lick the bowl.  But I know my matters, darlings, having been taught well at Miss Porter's!!!!!!!!!!

                                      A word of caution.  If you are in a hurry, this is not the place to go. Like, I wanted to get home fast, to catch "Evil, I" on"Investigation Discovery." Since we dined at 8, and this went on at 10, we were fine.  But go here when you have more time, or want a small, intimate romantic night out in the Ridge that is off the beaten track.   Miss Plaszaj, who handles the cooking, does everything to order specification, which means it takes a little longer, which is perfect for those who want a romantic discussion, a marriage proposal, a property deal, or anything that  requires much talk and discussion.  Like when will it be time for Monsieur and I to plan the wedding????  That may merit another visit to Petit Oven.

                                     So petit, so cute, darlings!!!!!!!!!!  But SO good!!!!!!!!!!  Even if you have no wedding plans, stop at Petit Oven, if you can get in, and sample French cuisine in Bay Ridge.  Who would have thought?????????????

                                        Sister Simplice would have simply loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    

No comments: