Followers

Friday, July 20, 2012

And Speaking Of Restaurants, Girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                             I am telling you, darlings, this is the biggest end of an era in restaurants, since the passing of Elaine of "Elaine's."  Yesterday, Sylvia Woods, founder and owner of Harlem's famed eatery, "Sylvia's," passed away, at the age of 86, after battling Alzheimer's.  How tragic that one so gifted had to go that way.

                              Honey, you know I have the South in my soul, and I can tell you I have been to "Sylvia's." In fact, it was just several years ago, in the summer.  My friend Tom, I believe, and I went up there, and we dined on the famous corn bread, fried chicken, collard greens, and red velvet cake.  "Sylvia's" was groundbreaking for its time; it made Southern soul food fashionable before it actually became such, and, while many imitators came afterward, for many this was the gold standard.

                                 A visit to Harlem was never complete without stopping by Sylvia's.  Sundays are packed,  because all the church congregations jam in there after services.  And it was pretty routine to have Sylvia herself visit your table, and chat with you. This actually happened during my visit.  She was SO charming, and when I told her how much I LOVED red velvet cake, I swear she saw to it that I got a more than average sized slice.  She was a sweetheart!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                  I hope, in the wake of her passing that "Sylvia's" continues. When Elaine passed on, so too did her establishment.  Another little piece of New York that brought some of us to the city gone.  Let us hope "Sylvia's" does not go this way.

                                   But, meantime, thank you, Sylvia, for all that you did!  You were a consummate hostess, and you put the food of the South on the map for all us Northerners with Southern cravings!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      Rest In Peace, honeychile'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: