Followers

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Girls, I Learned So Much From This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                     As you know, darlings, after completing the epic--and emotionally wrenching--"Les Miserables," I knew I was going to need something light, to get me back on a good mental track.  I pondered what that might be, until I realized that I had not yet read all of
Lauren Weisberger's oeuvre.

                                     Miss Weisberger, need I say, is best known as author of "The Devil Wears Prada."  I loved that, dolls, and I adored her follow up, "Everyone Worth Knowing.'  It echoed my life, I can tell you!!!!!!!!!!   But I had not read her two most recent books yet, so after completing the Hugo tome, I thought now is the perfect time to read her third book, "Chasing Harry Winston."

                                      It was light, breezy, entertaining, just what I needed.  But I did not think it was as good as 'Prada' or "Everyone Worth Knowing," because, while the book was sprinkled with Lauren's signature touches, if it did not have those, one might easily mistake this for a Candace Bushnell knockoff.

                                        Which is not to say it is--far from it--but its centering on a trio of girls brought to mind, Carrie, Samantha and Miranda.  Except Lauren's characters were infinitely more interesting.

                                          I, of course, related most to Leigh Wisener, who was the stand in here for Lauren, herself. In every book thus far she presents a figure who is this.  If you are coming to Lauren's work via this for the first time, and do not pick up on this right away, towards the end, when the character, who has been working in book publishing (clue! clue!) decides to go back to graduate school for....Creative Writing....well, who else could Leigh be, loves????????

                                           My favorite character was Adrianna, who might easily be viewed as this book's Samantha, except she is sharper, more glamorous, and, in the long run, smarter.  Plus she offers fabulous beauty tips.  As always, when reading one of Lauren's books, one carries away a set of pointers that can be utilized for themselves in the future. 

                                             Here is what I learned from this book, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                              1.  The most sophisticated form of comfort is a coconut
                                                    dacquoise, with a glass of champagne!!!!!!!!!

                                                2.  Harry Winston's is THE jewelry store to shop at.
                                                      (However, The Raving Queen, darlings, prefers
                                                       Van Cleef and Arpels!!!!!!!!!!!!)

                                                  3.   You cannot get by without a good man's
                                                         facial foundation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                    4.  Coconut oil is essential for luscious hair!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                      5. There is no excuse for me not to have yet dined
                                                           at Daniel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                     Now, back to the matter of hair!!!!!!!!!!  Take a look at the picture of Lauren I posted. She has the most fabulous hair, girls!!!!!!!!   I would kill to have it myself--its texture, its thickness!!!!!!!!!!!  And I am telling you, while Lauren is a very good writer--I prefer her to Miss Bushnell--I am certain that her perfect hair was, especially her first time out, a factor in her being published.

                                      And, darlings, guess what????  Since I last read one of Lauren's books, she has found herself a husband, and by now (because the pregnancy photo I saw was taken last year when promoting her most recent book, "Last Night At Chateau Marmont," which you know I want to read, darlings, because I have always wanted to stay there, she has given birth to that child she was then expecting!!!!!!!!  Wonder what she had, darlings??????  If anyone out there knows, please tell me!!!!!!!!!!!

                                       So, Lauren and I have something in common, since we both write and have found husbands.  Maybe we should bond over some nice coconut dacquoise and champagne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                        If you are a Lauren Follower, like moi, you cannot afford to miss "Chasing Harry Winston."  If you are new to Lauren's work, go in order--start with 'Prada' and advance.  Starting here, you may not "get" Lauren.

                                          And I cannot wait for her next book, because you know marriage and that baby will just inform it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                            Meanwhile, girls, I have GOT to do something about the thickness and texture of my hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                              What is your secret, Lauren????????????????????

No comments: