Followers

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Afghanistan Is No Vacation Spot, Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                             I was pleasantly surprised by "A Thousand Splendid Suns," because my response to "The Kite Runner," was akin to what I went through with Zadie Smith's "White Teeth."  When Smith's novel first appeared, it was all the rage, as was "The Kite Runner."  When I read both, I was less than enchanted.  I read both twice, actually, thinking maybe something was wrong with me.  "White Teeth" still did not click, but I came away with a better appreciation for "The Kite Runner," though I knew, when it was eventually filmed (as it was) there would things depicted I could not bring myself to watch.

                             That same observation holds true for "A Thousand Splendid Suns," but I have to say this is a much better novel, and reading experience, than "The Kite Runner."  Maybe because the characters of Lalia and Mariam are so strong; the details of their contrasting situations so compelling, the historical details of the crumbling of their world, the emergence into the era of 9/11 and its aftermath, was extremely commanding in a way the first one was not.  There was one happy surprise which gladdened me, in the face of some tragic horror that does take place.  One thing you have to hand to Hosseini; he is not afraid to flinch away from the unpleasant aspects of life in his country.  I wonder if he is government exiled, as was Boris Pasternak, for his poems and "Doctor Zhivago."  I have a feeling if Hosseini were to go back to his native land now, he would be killed.

                              Which would be a shame, because with his other novel, "And The Mountains Echoed," plus whatever might follow, I want to hear more from this writer who has much to say, and is not afraid to shie away from the harshness of reality.

                                   When I was reading this, many people, who saw me carry it, stopped me to say how much they enjoyed the book, how moved they were by it. I can understand why.

                                     But also understand, once you finish it, your reading palette must be cleansed with something light!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: