Followers

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Girls, You Simply Must Read This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                            While reading a synopsis of one of Jennifer McMahon's other books, "Promise Not To Tell," I had the distinct feeling of having read it before.  I cannot be sure, unless I read it, or read it again, in any case, as it turns out, but I am here to tell you, I intend to do so, because "The Winter People was so spellbinding," I want to get my hand on some of McMahon's  other works.

                               If you liked "Dead Silence," or "The Blair Witch Project," this novel is for you.  The narrative channels both in not obvious ways, but ones that do recall such, and the writing is almost--and to say that word is a compliment here--on the level of Shirley Jackson.  I think if Shirley were alive, and had read "The Winter People," she would be impressed.

                               Remember, how brilliant Judith Roberts was, as Mary Shaw, in "Dead Silence?" If ever a movie is made of "The Winter People," she would be perfect for the Shaw figure in this story, here called "Auntie."  And Gertie--what a role for a child!  Not since Sadako in "Ringu" has there been such a kid to fear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                               I don't want to say much more, except to say once it is begun, the reader cannot stop.

                                And for the more creative minded out there among genre readers, I offer up the cliched advertising slogan-- Do Not Try This At Home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                 Read "The Winter People," and you will know what and why, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: