Followers

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Thank God For Nancy Kelly, And The Coffee Pot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                          Quelle castastrophe, this morning, girls!  Don't even start with me about the bathroom; somehow, that was righted miraculously.  Maybe via Divine Intervention through Sister Camille, whom we listened to, this morning.

                           But, when I went to make the coffee this morning--the second thing I do after taking meds, and both are equally important!!!!!--there was a truly near disaster, which raised the potential of no coffee, in which case I would have become a fucking bitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                            Our coffee maker, beautiful, yellow and striking, began filling up, but leadkng water at the side, simultaneously.  There was as much water on the counter, as on the pot!

                              This coffee maker, manufactured by a company called De' Longhi America, in Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, had cracked underneath--just like before!  The first coffee maker we bought lasted exactly, one year; this, the same make and style, less than that!

                                Clearly, something is wrong!

                                 But--thank God--the future is bright, because we are going back to the Fifties, with an electric percolator, unseen since the days of Nancy Kelly in "The Bad Seed!"  Which is why I call this "The Nancy Kelly Coffee Pot!"

                                   Now, you know, girls, know how much I LOVE "The Bad Seed!"   Hell, I have even played it!  And, when I was a child, my mother and I could have done a revival on Broadway!!!!

                                     Amidst all the high camp, hysterics and hair styles of this Fifties potboiler, in almost every scene when in a kitchen or dining room setting, there is that coffee pot!  Except when Nancy hauls out the open bar cart for Paul Fix, who plays her foster father, and Eileen Heckart, the nosy, suspicious neighbor, whose son, Claude, met death at the hands of lethal Rhoda!  Ad, of course, an open bar cart is just the thing you haul out to a recurring alcoholic!  I love, when Eileen just helps herself to the entire bottle; no preliminaries, go right to the source!!!!  Too bad Nancy did not take a swig; she needed it, dealing with Rhoda!!!!!!!!!!

                                   But, I am telling you, not since the days of Dorothy McGuire, in "Gentleman's Agreement," has coffee been so important to a movie.  So, till our manufacture problem is solved, I will  sip my coffee, as elegantly coiffed as Nancy, and purse my lips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      Remember  the famous "I Love Lucy Show," about the Phipps Foam Mattress?  The one where she sings "Phipps are great big bunch of gyps????"

                                        Someone should sing that to De' Longhi America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

HarlowFan said...

I have been using the same Farberware electric percolator for the past 30 odd (VERY odd) years, and it still works beautifully. My mom got a new one and it broke down after a year. They really DON'T make 'em like they used to!

The Raving Queen said...


Ain't it the truth! I actually love making the coffee this way!