Followers

Friday, April 4, 2014

This You Have To See, To Believe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                            I still remember the opening sentence of the first novel length children's book, I read.  It was "The Bobbsey Twins At The Seashore," by Laura Lee Hope, and it went like this--"Shut mah mouf', we sho' do keep movin', cried Dinah, as she climbed onto the big depot wagon."  Now, I don't know if the Bobbsey Twins were from the South, or what; as far as I was concerned, they only lived between the pages of the books whenever I deigned to read them. And what was this strange language?  I had just barely mastered the English language at this point; I had no idea that Dinah was a Negro maid, or that this was Negro dialect. But it was.

                             It pales beside Universal's 1941 cartoon, "Scrub Me  Mama, With A Boggie Beat!"
I am telling you, compared to this, "Song Of The South" was forward thinking.  Hell, so was "The Birth Of A Nation!"  It at least introduced modern film techniques.

                               Is this film show at Klan induction centers?  You have to wonder!!!!!!!!!

                               But, girls, I just love it!  Like "Litttle Black Sambo," there is something charming and innocent about it. And wait till you see the Foxy Singer, who is a stand in for Dorothy Dandrdge's sister, Vivian.  That is one Foxy Mama, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                It just warms the cockles of my Southern Plantation Princess heart!  A time of fun and innocence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                               They just don't make them like this, anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                                                             

No comments: