Followers

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

.....But The Hayley I Most Wanted To Be Was When She Played Nikky Ferris In "The Moon-Spinners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"



                            "The Moon-Spinners," darlings, is so unusual for Disney of this period--1964, right before "Mary Poppins"-- that I cannot believe it has not become one of the ultimate gay movies.  And it is so adult, based on a mystery novel by Mary Stewart!!!!!!!!!!!

                               It has the aforementioned Hayley Mills, whom so many of us wanted to be, darlings, but I especially to be her here, because this is a kind of a breakout appearance, where she dresses as a young woman in some sophisticated outfits, that hair is perfect, she is working with Eli Wallach (playing a Greek jewel thief in almost a foreshadowing of his iconic performance in "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly") and Pola Negri (complete with leopard!!!!!!!!!).  I cannot believe I was so young I did not know who Pola Negri was when I first saw this film!  But my mother knew!

                              However, the reason I loved this movie were the three windmills shown during the opening credits, where, at night by the moon, maidens were said to spin their flaxen.  Isn't that just so romantic?  As was the isle of Crete, the wine, and the food!  And I could have been tutored in Greek!
And don't forget the title song!

                               But the reason I most wanted to be Hayley in this film is that I wanted to take that ride, hanging on to the windmill, screaming my head off, but looking as perfectly groomed as Hayley did.  This is my favorite moment in the film, and a crowning moment in Hayley's career!!!!!!!!!!!

                                And remember, girls, even though she is now 68, Hayley Mills is still a virgin.
When one is Hayley Mills, what else can one be?

                                   Just like yours truly, dolls!!!!!!!!!!  And no hate mail, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: