Followers

Monday, October 20, 2014

Damn!!!!!!!!!!! I Had Expected This To Be The Book Of The Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                  It may only make my Ten Best, but what a pleasure it was to read "Some Luck," by Jane Smiley.  The first of a trilogy detailing generations of the Langdons, an Iowan farm family, this is deep in Jane Smiley territory--lyrical depictions of farming that makes us non-farmers want to turn our tills to the soil, human and natural drama, the unfolding of the 20th Century--only as Jane Smiley, the only other Jane beside Austen I can seriously say, in literary terms, can write it.

                                   I enjoyed every page, and eagerly await the next volume in the trilogy.  But it didn't have that indefinable something extra that makes a reader know when they are reading a Book Of The Year.  I still have a few volumes to get through, meaning, if it has not come from Jane, or Anthony Doerr, then it is anyone's guess from whom it will come, which means a total surprise. Which I will let you girls in on, as soon as I read it.

                                    This book did make me want to read the entire Jane Smiley Oeuvre.  I have quite a few volumes to get to, because Jane has been at it, for such a long time!  May she never stop!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      Just love you, Jane!  Especially the descriptions of the vegetables and pies!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: