Followers

Thursday, November 23, 2023

Birthday Chronicles, Part One--Balthazar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                             OK, girls, so last Saturday was my birthday.  I always choose the place to dine, and this year I decided on Balthazar, on Spring Street, in SoHo, because it is a known hangout of ANNA--Anna Wintour, that is.



                              It turned out to be more than we bargained for.  The restaurant, as you can see, was colorful, luxurious and packed.  We had a nice corner banquette.  The food was scrumptious.  For appetizers, David had the famous Balthazar Salad, and I had their celebrated French Onion Soup.  For the main course, David had the famous Steak au Frites, and I had the Chicken Paillard.  It was delicious, and light, which was something I wanted, because I had a glass of wine to go with it.  For dessert, David had the Babba au Rum, with Vanilla Chantilly Cream, while I had the Chocolate Souffle Cake, with Vanilla Ice Cream.  There was a candle on top, and the staff sang "Happy Birthday" to me.  It was lovely.



                             But wait--there is more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                             Sitting to our left was an elderly woman, and her daughter.  It turned out the woman was celebrating her birthday too--she was 94, Polish, and a Holocaust survivor.  Her daughter, who was lovely with a great sense of humor was a topflight Manhattan real estate agent.  We became chatty with them and had a lovely time.  Then we learned a person to their left was celebrating her birthday that day, and so our section turned into the Birthday Corner.  The Maitre d gave us two flutes of champagne; I only drank half, as I had imbibed a glass of wine, and, with my low tolerance for alcohol, frankly, darlings, I was half looped.



                                Because of my state, I did not hear the Maitre d announce that Nancy Pelosi was coming to Balthazar, and soon we heard this clapping from the front, and into the main room walks Nancy herself, looking fabulous, and gracious to all.  Girls, I am telling you, she must have heard I was going to be in town, and at Balthazar, so there.  No ANNA sighting, but Nancy made the day!!!!!!!!!!



                                  As we headed out of the restaurant, and on to the subway, I was still half looped.



                                  I thought we were going back to Bay Ridge.  I had no idea what I was in for.



                                 To be continued tomorrow, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Oh my goodness a cliffhanger!!! I am intrigued!!!
Love the magical birthday lunch!!!

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
Oh, it was magical. Part Two is coming up soon!