Followers

Monday, November 6, 2023

Girls, "You've Gotta Eat Your Spinach, Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                             I mean, to stay healthy, darlings, you really do.



                            Now, for those beyond the Boomer generation, who are generally clueless, the two adults are Jack Haley, who went on to screen immortality in "The Wizard Of Oz," and Alice Faye, a famed chanteuse.  The little girl is America's Depression Darling, Shirley Temple, and, yes, there was a time when I did want to be her, but after what puberty did to her--I mean she was never the same, the day she bought she first brassiere--and those curls, I am not so sure.  I wanted to be longer lasting.



                             But the song keeps going through my head, and I thought I would share it with you.  It is from the 1936 film "Poor Little Rich Girl," and Temple was at her height.  Poor Alice Faye and Jack Haley.  But he did go on to screen immortality.



                                As for Alice, oh, my God, she really was desperate when she acted in 1945's "Fallen Angel," where she played--can you believe it? --Anne Revere's sister, and Linda Darnell shows one to glamorously eat a hamburger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Oh, hons, I am telling you.



                                Spinach was a lesbian favorite for a while, when Todd Haynes' 2015 film "Carol" was out.



                                  Lesbian or not, Shirley was right, eating spinach is good for you.



                                  It helped even a plain Jane, like Olive Oil, to land Popeye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                   Here is that iconic screen moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

These old movies!!!
Which reminds me, mother was watching a film with Suzanne Pleshette, Angela Lansbury, Jean Simmons, James Garner, and I think Katherine Ross??
What could it have been, do you think??
We haven’t figured out the channel guide at the new place.

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
With that cast, it has to be something from the Sixties.
If I find out, I will let you know.