Followers

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Girls, Can You Believe We Have Come To Another "Musical Theater Week"!!!!!



The week ahead features the birth anniversaries of some legendary figures in musical theater, not to mention some of MY faves. Including yours truly. We all know what happens when the moon is in the seventh house, but what was going on with the planets and constellations this week??? No wonder I ended up in the arts!!!!!

So let us start at the beginning. Today marks the birthday of Original "Chorus Line" alum, Sammy Williams, who won a TONY for his defining portrayal of Paul. Sammy turns 63 today, and honey, let me tell you, I cannot believe 36 years have passed, since he first did the show, and with the rest of the Original Cast, I am sure, he could dance it full out tonight!!!!! Wish I had trained with him, darlings; then you might have ended up seeing me in "A Chorus Line," though I would probably want to play Cassie or Sheila. But, then, I have some days, where I swear I AM Sheila!!!!!!!!

If you want to take a look at what once was, go on YouTube and type the show's title. Look for the TONY performance of the opening number, "I Hope I Get It," where you can Donna, Sammy and Company, and what we were going crazy over back in 1975, and why!!!! Nothing like it since, darlings, I can tell you!!!! Sammy is in the back, stage right. He is the cutest, and, next to Wayne Cilento, the best of the male dancers!!!!!!!

No one did the role of Paul as convincingly as Sammy. A performance that helped to bring homosexuality to the commercial Broadway stage!!!! Just like if I played Cassie or Sheila, it would define "show stopper!"

Which is why Sammy is remembered on this special day, for being so special in what he did!!!!! If only he could teach me some of those moves from 'Hello, Twelve, Hello Thirteen'!!!!!

Happy Birthday, Sammy, always sure to be a favorite with the Raving Queen. One could hardly ask for a better start to Musical Theater Week!!!!!!!

On with the show, loves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

HarlowFan said...

1975 was great year for Broadway. There was also Pacific Overtures, Bubbling Brown Sugar and Chicago with Gwen and Chita. When younger people start bragging about how they saw Ann and Bebe, I just laugh. They weren't a patch on the originals!

The Raving Queen said...

Honey, you said it!!! I saw all those shows you mentioned, too! And, yes, no one could top Gwen and Chita!!!!

The mistake I made during this period was thinking the greatness would continue to go forward. Sadly, things in musical theater have declined. We lost Fosse and Bennett along the way, and that had a lot to do with it!!!