Followers

Monday, May 11, 2015

Amen, To Jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                               Girls, I am telling you, "Hand Of God" was just what I needed.  It is a howler of a play, that has a disturbing twist, as it involves a mother and son who have severe psychological issues. The transition into and working out of those issues I am not sure is satisfactorily rendered by the playwright, but the journey along the way is so much fun, the stagecraft--direction, set design, and most especially, acting--makes it almost a non matter.

                                   Speaking of acting, I want to say a word about Tyrone, the puppet. As brilliant as Steven Boyer is--and he is; and I have had my eyes on him ever since last Summer, when I saw him play the Fool in 'Lear' at the Delacorte--I feel Tyrone should have received a TONY nomination of his own, as Best Featured Actor In A Play. He could have arrived at the awards in his own limousine!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                  There was a lot I was unprepared for. Until recently,  I thought it was just a one-person, or maybe two, if you count Tyrone, show, with Steven Boyer. I had no idea, initially, it was a fully developed play.

                                    Individual scenes stand out--the transformation of Jason's mother (Geneva Carr) into a raging slut; the attempted exorcism by Marc Kudisch as the pastor; and the sexual pas de deux between Tyrone and the other puppet. Oh, my God, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      But what does it all add up to?  And where is it going?  That is the problem.
When it was hinted there would be a church performance, I thought this was where it would be headed. We would be the "church audience," and the performance would deride us and organized religion!  Works for me, darlings!

                                       Instead, it goes in a more dramatically traditional direction of a mother and son facing their own personal issues, and the ambiguity of whether the puppet, Tyrone, is actually possessed, or a manifestation of Jason's psychosis.

                                       In the end, though, who cares?  It  is a HOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                       And should be required viewing for the Fundamentalist Christian Right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: