Followers

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Anne Was Loved By So Many!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                  Those theatrical dim bulbs still have not dimmed the Broadway lights, in honor of Elizabeth Wilson. Now, they have Anne Meara, who died on Saturday, May 23, to deal with, for she surely deserves this honor.

                                   I remember when I first became aware of she and her husband, Jerry Stiller.  It was during my junior high or high school years, when they did a series of radio commercials about a wine called--I kid you not!--Blue Nun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                     From then, on, they were seen everywhere, and in all media.  As warm and wonderful as she was, she was also a brilliant actress. I can still remember her scary turn as Ida Becker, mother to psychopath, Humphrey, in the 'SVU' episode, "Scavenger," back in 2004.

                                      Who could forget her as Veronica, on "Archie Bunker's Place?"

                                        But my favorite Anne Meara story is a personal one!

                                         Back in the Summer of 1988, I had managed, one night, to get into the hottest ticket at the Delacorte--"Much Ado About Nothing," with Kevin Kline and Blythe Danner!  At intermission, I waxed rhapsodically to a friend, whom I ran into, about Blythe, how I wish we could all wake up, in the morning, and look like her.  From several rows back--I did not realize I had been heard-- came this voice,"Honey, we all do!"  I looked up, and there was Anne!  She smiled at me, and said, "Why do you think I'm here?  Jerry's in the show with her every night!"  We both had a good laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                         Anne Meara was a sweetheart, and a pro. Her kind is rapidly vanishing, and will be missed. Rest In Peace, Anne!

                                          And get busy, and dim all those damn Broadway lights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: