Followers

Friday, May 22, 2015

As Betsy Palmer, As Mrs. Voorhees, Said, "I'M Not Afraid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                                     Why, in heaven's name, you may ask, would I begin a posting about the musical, "Finding Neverland," with a quote from "Friday, The 13th," when the two are not even remotely connected?  Because, darlings, I am not afraid, of being in the minority, saying what I am about to say.

                                       I loved this show!

                                        When it opened, on April 15, even I was skeptical.  In a posting back then, I questioned if the film's most lyrical sequence--Barrie's imaginary vision of bound for bedtime boys flying gracefully out the nursery window-- could be duplicated!!!!!!!!!!  Well, I am here to say, it is, and superbly!!!!!!!!!!

                                          This show has been a critic's scourge, but the audience seems to be turning out in droves.  I had no idea what I was in for, as my beloved and I walked into the Lunt-Fontanne for a Wednesday matinee; I honestly feared the worst.

                                            The show is not perfect, by any means, but I think the biggest problem the critics had with it, goes back to a quote attributed to Kelly Bishop, back in the days of "A Chorus Line."  When her mother was about to see the show, Kelly explained to her, "Now, you have to understand, it's highly theatricalized."  and that is the case with "Finding Neverland;" it forces the audience to use its imagination, rather than do the work for them.  Yes, folks are on wires, from time to time, but the sequence in question I mentioned earlier, is done simply by actors propelling the boys through space by hand.  You see the flying with your imagination.  That is brilliant.  Who would have thought Diane Paulus had it in her?

                                              Two problems the show has is the music and dancing are, at times , out of step with the period.  This is not true so much in the smaller numbers, as in the larger.  And Matthew Morrison, as J.M. Barrie, darlings, was cheated out of a TONY nomination.  In his first act finale, "Stronger," he demonstrates a vocal and dramatic presence worthy of taking on a role like Jean Valjean!!!!!!!!!!!!!  But the bigger numbers, both musically and physically, lose their way with the time period, resorting to standard Broaway-ese.  You don't want to see Michael Bennett "Chorus Line" steps in the Edwardian age!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                            I wondered how "Finding Neverland" would balance the light and dark of the material; or even if it would omit the latter, softening it.  That has not been done, but the darkness is made palatable for sensitive audience members by more stunning theatricality.  And that is all I am going to say!

                                             I cried real tears, darlings!  But they were tears of joy, rather than tears of regret at being forced to sit through another turkey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I guess that's what audiences got  at "Doctor Zhivago."

                                              I have to admit, I was not sure "Finding Neverland" would find its way.  But it does!

                                              And I am not afraid to say it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: