Followers

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Will Lily Rabe Play "Cymbeline" As Misty Day??????????????


                      Girls, I just found out the schedule at the Delacorte.  A week from tonight, "The Tempest" opens, with Sam Waterston (aka Jack McCoy) as Prospero, which makes me wonder who will be his Miranda????????  And don't forget Ariel, the friendly sprite!!!!!!!  Will it be staged Elizabethan style, or will they resort to the Fifties inter-galactic atmosphere, of Forbidden Planet?"

                      But the real question on everyone's mind deals with Lily Rabe in "Cymbeline."  When it comes to popularity, this is far from the Top Ten of the Bard's repertoire, but it seems to get revived more times than can be counted.  If I had seen every single production of "Cymbeline" staged, since I first arrived in New York, the total would be somewhere near thirty!!!!!!!!!!!

                        Of course Lily is going to be the drawing card of this "Cymbeline," thanks top her popularity on "American Horror Story."  But not to fear; she is beautiful, brilliant, and will speak the verse beautifully!!!!!!!!

                         But how will she play Imogen???????????  Theater Queens, and The Raving Queen, are wondering if she will play her as Misty Day, since Lily is so closely identified with her.  You have to admit, darlings, it would give a new flavor to "Cymbeline," and I am sure no one there, even Bard purists, would object, if, at some point in the proceedings, Lily took center stage, and delivered her own, spirited rendition of "Rhiannon!!!!!!!!!!!!"  I am telling you, dolls, the audience would go crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                          And theater managers love crazy audiences, because they sell tickets!  So, while I cannot guarantee any of this will happen, let's just say I am going to keep my eyes open on Lily in "Cymbeline."  I plan to be there, because Lily is, well...LILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I bet you MERYL will be there, too!  If I am lucky, we will be there the same night!  And next to each other, for some Girl Gab!!!!!!!!!!

                           We love you, Lily!!!!!!!!!!!  Cannot wait to see you as Imogen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                            Not to be confused with Imogene Coca, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: