Followers

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Do I Need To See "Beaches??????????????????"


                           As I write this post, a musical is being mounted of the 1988 movie, "Beaches," and already I am hearing disastrous things.  The musical stars Alysha Umphress (my God, what a name; what ever happened to monikers like "June Allyson??????") in the Bette Midler role of Cee Cee Bloom, and Mara Davi, in what is the first of the show's mistakes, changing her name from Hillary Whitney Essex to--are you ready--Bertie!!!!!!!!!!!! Huh, Bertie?????????  A girl from a socially prominent, Ivy League WASP family??????????? Whom are they kidding?  This was the role played by Barbara Hershey on film, and, of course, the one who dies.  The other disastrous thing I have heard is that Cee Cee sings a showstopper, at the end, after her friend's death--but it is NOT "Wind Beneath My Wings!!!!!!!!!"  How can it NOT be??????????? What do they think audiences are going to expect?????????????

                         Maybe this is why I have never gotten around to seeing "Beaches."  After "Terms Of Endearment," which was over 30 years ago, and being devastated by Debra Winger's death, not to mention hers in "Shadowlands," I decided I did not want to see any more movies where people die of terminal illnesses. And, as I get older, and mortality becomes more of a possibility than before, my anxiety increases, so why do I need to have it triggered on screen?????????????

                            I am not so sure I have the stomach for "Beaches."  Even though I would like to see Bette and Barbara, both of whom, I like, hear the song, and see Mayim Bialik as the child Cee Cee, not to mention Lainie Kazan as her mother!  Who will play that role in the movie?  And how can the children be as good as Bialik and Marcie Leeds, as the young, Hillary??????????????????????

                            So curious, but so afraid.  I am going to leave this one up to you, girls!!!!!!!! What do you think I should do????????????

                              Here is the song, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



No comments: