Followers

Friday, July 17, 2015

"Sounds Pretty Dirty Tuh ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                           Few had as distinctive a voice as Bette Davis, darlings!  So, that is why I think she would have been as appalled as I at David Thorpe's documentary feature, "Do I Sound Gay?," which I saw yesterday!

                              The premise is an interesting one, and worthy of exploration.   But it does not get it here.

                               What this film seems more  interested in exploring is internalized homophobia, and Mr. Thorpe's in particular.  He starts by stating that, after a breakup, he was distraught to find himself single in his 40's-- oh, my God, poor BABY!  You self-serving, egotistical prick!  Do you know how many gay men are out there OVER 40, who are still single, because they have not found the right partner????  And that I was such, until the age of 55?  Get off your high horse, Mr. Thorpe, and go pump at the gym, you bitch!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                 Mr. Thorpe's case for the gay voice is a weak one.  Only David Sedaris, whose writing I have read, but whose voice I never heard, fit the bill, and that was because he was this far South of Truman Capote!

                                   Speaking for myself, gay men don't sound as unique as Mr. Thorpe would seem to think. And there is nothing wrong with sounding the way one does.  I feel I sound gay, but I see it more as an asset; it produced an angelic singing voice in childhood, a lyrical tenor in adolescence and young adulthood, and  a Broadway belt, with the others, in later years.  As the saying goes, "When you're gifted, then you're gifted. These are facts, I got no ax to grind!!!!!!!!!!!!"

                                     But Mr. Thorpe apparently does, even as he calls himself a writer--odd, I never heard of him till now--and prances about his gay Park Slope chic apartment, with his gym toned body and gym rat look!  Come on, Mr. Thorpe, your breakup had more to do with your fatuous egotism than your voice!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Too bad you did not interview me!  Because I would have given you a run for the money!

                                     The film is well made, but confounding.  Its title says it is about one thing, the content says it is about something else altogether!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      Get your act together, Mr. Thorpe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: