Followers

Monday, July 20, 2015

How Does One Process "Fun Home????????????"


                              The warm glow of having just seen "Fun Home," which my beloved and I saw yesterday, has not left me, so how coherent this post will be I cannot guarantee.  Everything that has been said, and you have heard about--the extraordinary performances of Sydney Lucas, Emily Skeggs, and Beth Malone, as the Three Alisons, not to mention heartrending turns by Michael Ceveris and Judy Kuhn as the parents, the supporting cast, the Jeanine Tesori and Lisa Kron book and score, plus the direction by Sam Gold--is true.  Having gotten tickets, I asked a colleague who had already seen it if I should listen to the CD first, and I was told no; that it is better to go in and experience "Fun Home."  It turned out my colleague was right.

                               "Fun Home" is about the Bechdel family, whose story touches many of our own lives.  Though intimate in nature, it manages also to be tremendous in scope.  It is funny, at times, and emotionally wrenching at others, and every facet of it is perfect in its structure and place.

                                  This company of actors is one to relish and see.  Ceveris' touching and tormented performance is devastating, as is Kuhn, when she delivers a heartrending ballad about her day to day struggles.  Everyone, right down to the children, are carefully nuanced, but it is Sydney Lucas' heart rending portrayal of Small Alison that shall stay with me for life.  One of the most extraordinary child performances I have seen on Broadway; do not miss her!

                                   I had no idea the show was done sans intermission, so I wondered about that. It works.  And, when it did end, I wished it had gone on.  I can't recall the last time I felt that at an original musical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      There is even a line that hit me between the eyes; it had something to do with seeking the approval of others, who are not worthy of you.  That little gem is something I took home about myself, but everyone who sees it will see themselves in "Fun Home."

                                         It is not just about the Bechdels.  It is about all of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                         See it, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: