Followers

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Girls, I've Always Wanted To Be Alice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                        I had not realized, till recently, that this year marks the 150th Anniversary of the publication of Lewis Carroll's classic, "Alice's Adventures In Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass (And What Alice Found There."  So, I decided to give them a reread, and the experience has stirred a myriad of past memories.

                         Disney's 1951 film of "Alice In Wonderland," which combines both books, was always my favorite of his animated films.  (Now, I also wanted to be Tinker Bell, but that is another story!!!!!!!!!)  And the story record, narrated by ex-Mouseketeer, now convicted felon, Darlene Gillespie, (sister of Gina, now an attorney, who played the child Blanche in 'Baby Jane,' delivering the penultimate line, "I won't forget.  You BET I won't forget!") was my favorite in that series, and listened to it again and again.

                          I have always wanted to go to Wonderland.  As I read it today, much of Wonderland makes more sense to me than the real world around me.

                          But, for me, it was all about Alice. That whole Victorian thing--that hair, barrette, blue dress with white apron and white stockings and shoes, fascinated me with its color composition.  I wanted to dress like Alice.  I still do.  When I had Dinseykins,  (little plastic miniature figures of the characters) you better believe Alice was my favorite. Oh, and of course, Tinker Bell!!!!!!!!!!!.

                            I did not want to go to Neverland.  Only Wonderland.  Neverland, I think, was too butch for me. In Wonderland you could eat, drink, grow, shrink, attend a tea party, go through doors into enchanted gardens, and live out life on a giant chess board. All on a golden Summer's afternoon. What more could one want?????????????????

                             Maybe I could go to my tea with Hayley Mills, dressed as Alice! Now, THERE would be a conversation starter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                              I love you, Alice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: