Followers

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

High Theatrical Camp! Catnip!!!!!!!!!!! A Perfect Theatrical Excursion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                          Girls, how did I manage, back in 1993, to miss "Ruthless?"  That was during my period of Spinsterhood, so I guess I had more pressing things on my mind.  But, this past Saturday, my beloved and I paid a visit to this show, and, sweeties, I am telling you, it was as though it were written for me.

                            And it should have been.  Or I should be playing the role of Tina Denmark.  Imagine, a musical version of "The Bad Seed," where the evil child wants, not a penmanship medal--to hell with that--but a career, in show business, on the stage!  This show even references characters, names, situations, and lines from "The Bad Seed," and you can tell how astute the audience is by how quick they pick them up!

                              Ours was not too astute. But you know, I knew the whole thing.

                                The show was actually helped by having one of the creators, Joe Paley portraying Sylvia St. Croix, the kind of Monica Breedlove of the piece, but who is a lot sharper than "dear Aunt Monica" was.  And, of course, there were twists and turns along the way.

                                  The score is campy and precious.  No "Light In The Piazza," but I would just love to  get out there and do one of those roles.  How long have I felt like that about a musical I saw?

                                    "Ruthless" is the best theater fun you will have, as the Summer winds down, darlings!!!!!!!!!!  Don't miss it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      And watch you don't get stabbed in the back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: