Followers

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

M. Night Shyamalan Discovers Camp!!!!!!!!!!! But Will It Succeed??????????????


                                 Have you seen the trailer to "The Visit," girls?  When I saw Granny trying to put the little girl in the oven, I thought this was a remake of "Who Slew Auntie Roo?"  You can't get any campier than that, and Shelley Winters owns this role.

                                  Now, before we get into M. Night Shyamalan, and his sagging career, I have to ask--what is it with writers, or filmmakers today, who cannot come up with original titles ?  "The Visit" has, for years, been a play by Friedrich Durrenmatt, and, just recently, an unsuccessful Kander and Ebb Broadway musical, that, nevertheless, provided Donna McKechnie with two of the best numbers in her show at 54 Below.  Which you know I was at, dolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                    Poor M. Night Shyamalan.  I cannot believe filmmakers got financial backing to make "Ouija 2," as the first was one of the worst things I have ever seen--and that is saying something for someone, such as I, who revels in horror trash.  Poor M. Night; who is willing to take a risk on him, anymore.  I haven't sat through one of his movies since "The Village'--and I figured that one out in about twenty minutes.

                                      Of course, the whole Hansel and Gretel thing has been done, most notably, as stated, in 'Auntie Roo."  So how original can  this be?  I have to admit, when a movie features a granny trying to force a kid into a modern oven, it grabs one's attention. And then I find out that Granny is going to be played by Deanna Dunagan, who was the original Violet (and some would say the one and only, but not I, because of MERYL!!!!!!!!) Weston in "August:Osage County" on stage.  So, she could offer up an interesting performance.

                                        Which means I may have to see this one, girls!  I will let you know!

                                          But I guarantee, if this flops, no Ouija board will be needed to predict this being M. Night's last hurrah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                           Here is the film's trailer. Take a look, and see what you think!

No comments: