Followers

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Don't You Just Love The Camaraderie Of Show Business, Girls?????????????????



                                There are so many favorite scenes in "The Turning Point," the campy dance classic that makes gay men everywhere regret not taking pointe class.  Let us review them.

                                   Shirley MacLaine, as Dee Dee, lamenting as she removes leotards from the bathroom shower rod.

                                     The famous fight scene.  Need I say more?

                                     Anne Bancroft, as Emma, and her famous one line reaction when Dragon Lady Adelaide (Martha Scott, standing in for Lucia Chase!!!!!!!) asks Emma to stage "Sleeping Beauty," and she says, "I really MUST do something about my face!"  How many times have I used that one, loves???????????

                                      There is one I have never mentioned, however, and it so gets the camaraderie of show business right.  Dee Dee is in Manhattan with Ethan and Emilia, who is quickly becoming the company's protege.  With time on her hands, Dee Dee walks into the studio/rehearsal hall, and sees Antoinette Sibley, as Sevilla Haslam.  I just LOVE Sevilla!   Dee Dee calls out joyously, "Sevilla!" and the poor diva greets her cordially--"Oh, darling, how are you?"--without any idea of whom she is talking to.

                                         This is SO show business, darlings.  We are either Sevilla or Dee Dee, and I have been both.  If you even on the periphery of things, people know or think they know you, and vice versa.  "The Turning Point" gets this SO right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                           As stated, I just LOVE Sevilla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                           And I wish I had taken pointe class!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: