Followers

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

The Work Is Well Worth It, Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                     I love Russell Banks' writing--I have read some of his other books--but I was not prepared for the sheer, epic magnitude, of "Cloudsplitter."

                                      It is an epic historical novel, of the activist John Brown, told from the viewpoint of his son, Owen, looking back.  Even as I finished the last page, satisfied with this absorbing read, I still questioned whether it needed to be as long as it is.  Banks' books are all considerably shorter. This remains his longest tome yet.

                                      But it is historically breathtaking, meticulously detailed, letting many in on activities leading up to the Civil War that often are not paid attention to.   The drama is kept to a minimum, but there are several stunning moments of tragedy and dehumanization that question everything from the family unit to the extremism of religion.

                                        This book is for dedicated readers; it is not a quickie.  It is not particularly fun, yet, while I wanted it to end, there was something about it I just could not pull myself away from.  Perhaps, like Owen, I was seeking answers.

                                           They are gleaned in "Cloudsplitter," but at what cost?  This novel requires a great investment of time and concentration, but its dividends are rewarding.

                                             It is a magnum opus of a major author!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: