Followers

Monday, March 14, 2016

Hey,Lonny Price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can You Do Something For Me??????????????????


                                   Girls, let me tell you, not since Ronee Blakley's stunning vocal and dramatic turn in Robert Altman's 1975 masterwork, "Nashville," have I seen something to compare with it.  That is, until this past Saturday night, when we watched Audra McDonald portraying Billie Holiday, in all her vocal glory and flawed self-destruction, in "Lady Day At Emerson's Bar And Grill."  Whereas Ronee's turn was nine riveting minutes, Audra's is ten times that; at ninety minutes this is virtually a one-woman show, despite some interjections from the accompanist.

                                    Forget that bitch Diana Ross in "Lady Sings The Blues," back in 1972.  When Audra takes on Billie, if one closes one's eyes, it is Holliday one is hearing.  Her addictive and other negative aspects of her personality are on full display, and, as a viewer, taking in all this, one sits there, stunned, at McDonald's virtuosity.  It is truly remarkable, and I was riveted for every single of those ninety minutes.  If this is repeated, girls, you should make sure you don't miss it.

                                     Imagine my shock, after the chilling closing, when the credits rolled, and I discovered the whole thing had been directed by Lonny Price.  I have loved Lonny since "Merrily We Roll Along."

                                       Hey, Lonny, can you put something together for me?  You want me to do self-destruction?  Comedy?  Drama?  You want me to do Fantine?  "I got thirty six expressions, darling, sweet as pie and tough as leather."

                                          Not that I could touch Aurdra. The point is to do something that no one can touch, but me!!!!!!!!!!!  Come on, Lonny!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                            I won't do Billie, and Audra won't do me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: