Followers

Friday, December 6, 2013

Oh, My God, Girls!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wait Till You Hear This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                I called some of it right, darlings!!!!!!!!!!  Within a week of publishing their list of The 100 Most Notable Books Of 2013, the New York Times published its Ten Best List.  I will only discuss five, since what I am most concerned with, of course, is Fiction.  But, first, let us review what I predicted would turn up on the Fiction list.

                                      MY Predictions--from December 1, 2013--

                                      1.The Luminaries, by Eleanor Catton

                                      2.The Circle, by Dave Eggers

                                      3.The Lowland, by Jhumpa Lahiri

                                      4.Tenth Of December, by George Saunders

                                      5.The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt

                              OK.  Now, here is what The Times picked--

                                       1. Americanah, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

                                        2.The Flamethrowers, by Rachel Kushner

                                        3  The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt

                                        4. Life After Life, by Kate Atkinson

                                         5.Tenth Of December, by George Saunders


                            Now, let's dish!!!!!!!!!!  As it turns out, I called the shots on two selections!  Not bad, considering the only one I have read so far is "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt, and while everyone seems to be going ape shit (or maybe that should be bird shit!!!!) over it, I was less than blown away, after expecting to be.  I found it highly readable, at times enjoyable, I loved the playing around with Dickens, but while I never complained of length with Dickens--I mean, who would dare????-- I thought the whole Las Vegas section, with the father, and tramp wife, could easily have been eliminated, and should have!  Who gives a damn for these two losers, and a loser area like Vegas?????????  Not only would there still have been plenty of novel left, it would have been better!!!!!!

                          What the hell happened to "The Luminaries?"  I have heard great things about that; it is about as long as "The Goldfinch," and some say even better, but I have a feeling the Times could only make room for one 800 plus page book on the shelf, and this was the Year Of Donna Tartt!

                             Thank God, no Dave Eggers!!!!!!!  'Nuff said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                              "The Flamethrowers?"  Who  ever heard of it?  What is  it?  And who is Rachel Kushner?  Any relation to Tony??????????????
                             
                              What's up with Kate Atkinson?  When I first saw, she was on the list, I said, "My God, a mystery on the list????   I thought "Life After Life" was the latest of her Jackson Brodie novels, which I happen to love, by the way, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  But it is not even related to that series.  Guess Kate was in a literary mood this year, like she was with "Behind The Scenes At the Museum!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

                                 I have actually heard much about George Saunders' quality as a writer, so I have had my eye on "Tenth Of December," since it came out!  Now, I have got to read it!

                                 What else?

                                  No "Night Film??????"  Inexcusable!!!!!!!!!  Take my word, loves, it is the Book Of The Year!!!!!!!!!

                                  I have seen "The Interestings" by Meg Wolitzer, on some lists, and I cannot argue with that!  If I had done a Notable List myself, I think it would have made it!

                                   And, thank God, nowhere have I seen "&Sons," by David Gilbert!  Guess his literary goose is cooked!  See ya, Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                     So, what do you think, girls???? Agree, disagree , or what?  There is lots of reading ahead, and in the forthcoming year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      May all you read be literary gems!!!!!!!!!!

                                       Now, that is REAL wishful thinking, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: