Followers

Thursday, December 19, 2013

This Song Was Always Open To Interpretation, Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                  I imagine it was covered by other singers, but when you mention "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" to me, the prepubescent country twang of Jimmy Boyd's voice comes first to mind.

                                    How you perceive this song depends what age you are. When I was still at the stage where I believed in Santa, I took the song literally. But when I finally moved beyond it, I viewed it as the boy seeing Mommy kissing his Daddy--dressed in a Santa suit!

                                      The song seems to even support the second interpretation, especially with the lyrics, "Oh what a laugh it would have been/If Daddy had only seen/Mommy kissing Santa Claus/Last night!
The irony being, Daddy was there, because he was the one, as Santa, doing the kissing!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      This is another Christmas favorite I have not yet heard this season.  You don't think I would let you get away with that, do you???? So, here is Jimmy's classic rendition, which supports the idea that Santa IS Daddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                          I say, girls, kiss whomever you want, under that mistletoe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: