Followers

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

This Was One Of My Earliest Favorite Christmas Records, Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                            When it comes to adaptations of Dickens' "A Christmas Carol," there were three I always doted on; 'Mister Magoo,' of course, the Alastair Sim film version of 1951, and this recording of a radio broadcast of the story done by Lionel Barrymore.   It was a condensation of the tale, yet managed to get it all in, and Barrymore, with his voice, was superb.  This is what introduced me both to "A Christmas Carol," and Charles Dickens; I was listening to this, long before I saw Magoo or Sim.  The entire broadcast took up one side of the 331/3 RPM vinyl LP!!!!!!!!!   Remember those, dolls???????????

                              The other side, which I used to never play, but came to grow fond of, over the years, featured traditional Christmas Songs by The Canterbury Choir.

                               Over time, with lots of my childhood mementos, this item got lost.  I wonder if it was ever put on CD?   It would be fun to listen to it again.

                                  Because, as was said, in the book, "Christmas Is A Time Of Giving," by Joan Walsh Anglund,  "For some, Christmas is a time of remembering."  And, girls, some of us have come to that stage!!!!!!!

                                    May all your Yule Tide memories be joyous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: