Followers

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

"Matilda!" Is Sheer Theatrical Magic, Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                              I related to "Matilda!." darlings, I can tell you, at least the part about not being recognized in school for being superior to those around you!  You better believe it, and I cheered Matilda (played by a very impressive Paige Brady!) on, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                               When I saw this first presented on last year's TONY Awards, I thought for sure this would take Best Musical.  Imagine losing out to "Kinky Boots!"  This should have won!  The story is infectious, the kids are great, the choreography is outstanding, and two songs, "When I Grow Up" (not to be confused with the more cloying, but similarly titled song, from the 1935 Shirley Temple film, "Curly Top!!!!) and the spectacular, "Revolting Children!," are genuine show stoppers.   And the show has pace and drive--it never stops moving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Our packed audience was captivated from curtain rise to curtain fall!

                                   Monsieur really liked it, which was a good thing, as this was his birthday present!  I expected I would enjoy it, but not so much as I did!  It is dark, with imaginative production design, and the ensemble here works hard, on a par with the boys over at "Newsies!!!!!!!!!"

                                       I am telling you, when Miss Trunchbull was tossing out quality literature, and telling Matilda not to read it, I thought back to that Norma Brodsky, and Mary Beinhower.  Screw you, you jerks!!!!!!!!!!   Like "Matilda" says, sometimes, to get somewhere, you have to be a little bit naughty!!!!!!!!!!!

                                        Now, if only they would make those T-shirts for men, too!  Please????????????

                                        Want to see a bit of the magic, loves????????  Here it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: