Followers

Friday, January 31, 2014

Now, Here Is A Remedy For The Winter Blues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                       On to more cheerful topics, girls,  Especially after the last couple of posts, it is time to get backs to Swans, Truman Capote, the social scene, and such matters of importance.

                                         When I was first navigating the social scene of this city, darlings, I learned the importance of being seen at Afternoon Tea.  Back in the day, the place of  choice was the Palm Court, at the Plaza Hotel, which was pretty magical.  I even had my personal waiter, Boris!!!!!!!!!!  He served me every time I would walk in!!!!!!  With the palm fronds, and the music, and the tea and scrumptious savories, it was this side of Heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                          But Times do change!  Let me start by saying that, at  this now distant point in time, the price of tea--the whole magilla--at the Palm Court was $23 a person!  If the Plaza still existed today, it would be close to three times that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                            There are no shortage of places still, for Afternoon Tea.  But the best of them, the one that most closely follows earlier traditions, is the one at the St. Regis Hotel, held from 3PM to
 5PM in the stunning Astor Court.


                                       I mean, just look, darlings, such understated elegance!  I could call Lee (Radzwill) and Gloria (Vanderbilt) right now, and arrange for a gathering!  I should!  In fact, I should invite all my girls here, for tea!  It would be great business for the St. Regis, and we could, for a few pleasurable hours, return to an era of style and gracious living!  Before there was crap like "Spring Awakening" on Broadway!

                                        Even alone, a person could bring their Dickens (I am still plowing through "Little Dorrrit"), Eliot, Austen, Brontes, or Trollope, and peruse for an afternoon, sipping and nibbling.  I mean, you would not DARE bring any other kind of literature into this place.  Truman Capote, maybe?  Otherwise, a girl could get thrown out!  And that is a thing you do not want to have getting around town!  Not even a hardback copy of "The Two Mrs. Grenvilles," so keep that at home in your night table drawer!

                                         Just writing about this has me shivering with anticipation.  If Babe or Slim were still alive, I would phone immediately!!!!!!  Is Gloria home?  Maybe I should call her!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                          In any case, I must make a visit here one of my goals for this year!  And if  I do, you will all be with be, or otherwise get a full report!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                           See you at teatime, loves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                 

No comments: