Followers

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

"Should We Sing A Song About The Trees Of Arbor Day???????????????"


                          Happy Arbor Day, everyone!  I only learned about this holiday, which celebrates matters agrarian, from the Little Rascals short of the same title.  Can't you just see me doing the final number, in that midget dress, with the eye make-up?  I mean, come on Ryan Murphy, can't you work me doing this into the upcoming season of "American Horror Story?????"

                            For years, save for the Rascals, it was a long forgotten holiday, one never given days off to.   Then, around 1970, with the post-Woodstock disenchantment onset, when ecology kicked in, it became Earth Day, which it remains today.  But I prefer calling it Arbor Day!

                              There has never been a holiday song, like this one!  I would love to perform it.  But you have to listen fast, girls, to catch all the lyrics, when it goes very up tempo!  I still don't have all the words down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                 As Helen Lawson would say, "Plant your own tree, and make it grow!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

2 comments:

Videolaman said...

OMG, I have wondered subconsciously for decades now, WTH happened to "Arbor Day"! It was such a big deal back in grade school: how many drawings and paintings and shoebox dioramas it inspired!

Then, some time around junior high in the late '70s, it disappeared without a trace. We were all distracted by other more important things (adolescence, becoming queens) so we failed to notice. Then, when "Earth Day" suddenly became a "thing" I had no idea whatsoever it was actually the re-emergence of "Arbor Day" (dumbed down to appeal to a new generation of proto-hipster numbskulls who eschewed any preceding traditions).

Amazing the things one can learn following your blog, RQ!

The Raving Queen said...

I always think of this episode and song every Arbor Day!